News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to make a 24" radius EZ track curve ?

Started by czechwizard, October 05, 2011, 03:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

Guys, how can I make a 24" radius EZ track curve using 22" radius plus ??? ? What track piece do I need to add up to the 22" ? Any ideas, please, thank you !

jward

alternate sections of 22 and 26 inch radius should come close.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Czech,

Atlas makes snap track curves in 24 inch radius.   Using them with cork roadbed under them should bring the Atlas track up to the proper height.  The EZ track and Atlas track use the same style railjoiners.   All you would have to do is cut the roadbed lugs off the road bed at each end of the Atlas section.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

the atlas 24" curves are only made with code 83 rail, ez track is code 100. not an insurmountable problem, but it does mean you'd have to carefully align the rail tops and solder where the different rail sizes meet.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

czechwizard

Hmmm, thanks. Ok, JWard, so 22" and 26", how many of each ?

jward

for a 180 degree turn you'd need 5 26"r and 4 22"r. alternate them with a 26 on each end of the curve, to provide an easement. your curve shoudl look like this:
26-22-26-22-26-22-26-22-26......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

cz wiz-

I don't know if you are trying to broaden your curves generally, or ease curves so locomotives which need broader curves will clear your curves. If you're just trying to stretch out your curves, what people are suggesting will almost work. However, I don't see any 26" EZ Track in on this Bachmann web site. (This really surprised me.) Additionally, you need to have exactly the same number of degrees of 22" radius curvature as 26" radius. This means that you probably cannot alternate 22" and 26" with a 26" on each end because you wouldn't have the same number of degrees of curvature for both the 22" and 26" curves. jward's scheme would result in much more than 180o unless the 26" curves you use are each 18o.

Think of this as needing exactly 90o of curvature of each radius. You'll need four 22" EZTrack curves for 90o. And you'll need 90o of 26", too. That means four pieces of 26" if each is 22.5o, like the 18", or five pieces if each is 18o. Eighteen degree 26" curves, by the way, is the only way you can alternate the curves with a 26" radius on each end and still end up with a 180o turn.

if you're trying to get 24" radius curves so locomotives will stay on the track, this plan won't work. Locomotives which need 24" curves cannot clear alternating 22" and 26" curves even though the average curvature would indeed be 24". The tightest curve, called the ruling curve, determines whether a locomotive, or any equipment, can negotiate the curve, not the average.
                                                                                               -- D

ACY

Doneldon is correct in what he is saying about the ruling curve.

czechwizard

Wow, guys, you beat the hell out of me giving me all this avalanche of info. I just want to fit another loop into my 26, 28, 33, 35" radius mainlines, that's why 24. I have 22" radius tracks without use from the Acela set and, yes, I have a few packs of 26" left as well. I will try it and let you know, testing my six axle locos on that curve. Thank you for always being there for me and everybody else !

ebtbob

Jward,  and all,

The Atlas 24 in radius is available in code 100.   I just used some to help fix some track problems at a retirement facility and the left overs are available at Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ACY

Quote from: ebtbob on October 06, 2011, 07:12:21 PM
The Atlas 24 in radius is available in code 100.   I just used some to help fix some track problems at a retirement facility and the left overs are available at Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa.
Really, thanks for the heads up, I had only seen it in code 83.

czechwizard

Quote from: jward on October 05, 2011, 10:37:52 PM
for a 180 degree turn you'd need 5 26"r and 4 22"r. alternate them with a 26 on each end of the curve, to provide an easement. your curve shoudl look like this:
26-22-26-22-26-22-26-22-26......

I have just tried it, it works well, my SD 40-2s and DD40AX don't derail, so
I have another, this time 24" radius, loop using my spare track, thanks a lot.