The new Baldwin 2-4-2 Steam Locomotive (Product Code 91198 or 91199)

Started by FrankO, July 09, 2011, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankO

Questions about this new Locomotive.
1. What is its scale, i.e., 1:20.3 or 1:22.5?
2. What is its minimum turn radius?
3. Is this a Spectrum quality unit?
4. What is the height (in inches) of the engine cab door?
5. Is Item No. 91198 (Black with Red Windows and White Pinstripes) and Item No. 91199 (Green and Black with White Pinstripes) exactly the same? Pictures indicate that the pipe going down the outside of the water tank end at different locations???.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
The 2-4-2s are improved versions of previously released locos.
The British version scales out, using L & B plans, at 1:22.5.
The Americanized version has 1:20.3 details to represent a slightly smaller freelance version.
The drives are excellent.
They have been released in the Big Haulers line in an effort to provide affordable models.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jon D. Miller

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

G scale CAVEMAN

hello ..i just bought this engine ..and found it lacking any power.. and its too light weight... i hooked it up to 2 aristocraft flat cars , 1 USA crane tender car, 1 USA crane car ending with a bachmann bobber caboose... and this engine can barely pull these cars on a flat surface test track i have set up...   it mostly spins its wheels trying to pull the cars unless you give it a push... once it gets going ..it does run smooth.. and quiet...  in my box i got all the parts i think comes with it but i can't be shure cause theres no paper work on what features this engine has no nothing about the switches for smoke nor for direction (PS i know where the swiches are) ..nor is there a warranty card... there is a diagram showing all parts ...and to change couplers...which i had to do so it would fit my other cars... now as to the insides of the engine ...very neatly put together ..but ... it has a speaker ...but no sound,, no place for sound... no switch for sound...no CHUFF SOUND ......no information on this engine on bachmanns web site ....
sorry but very pitiful ..it just like the last engine i got from bachmann.
the bachmann  2-6-0  under weight... no pulling power ...and now my tender shorts out everything when i hook it up and the chuff doesn't work at all.....

Jon D. Miller

The 2-4-2T has a weight of 4 pounds, 2 ounces.  If you want a stump puller then try a Connie.

There is room in the locomotive to add about a pound of additional weight. There is also space for a sound card.

What frosts me is no Owner's Manual or lubrication insturctions.  I can sure figure out where it needs lubrication, but an Owner's Manual would have been nice.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Bucksco

Caveman - Does it have a tender? If so it's not the engine being discussed here. The older 2-4-2 with tender was indeed a light weight engine and has not been in production for some time now. The recently released 2-4-2 tank engine has been re-done and is a very good puller with a new upgraded gearbox.
This is the loco being discussed:
:

It sounds like you may have purchased something second-hand. Was it new in the package? I believe a 9 volt battery is required in the tender and there is an on/off volume knob on top of the tender.

Loco Bill Canelos

If you bought your 2-4-2 on Ebay, I wouldn't be suprised if someone bought a new one then put an older one in the new box.   It has happened with 4-6-0 Big haulers in the past

My older generation 2-4-2 easily pulled 4 cars on level track without  added weight and still gets called for the local freight once in awhile. 

I'm guessing your 2-6-0 was an industrial version,  many added weight to them as well with good success.   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Caveman,

In case you missed it.  Here is a YouTube video of the 2-4-2T with three extended length J&S coaches in tow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_c8nmBEsqM

The coaches are 23 1/2" in length over the end beams and weigth is right at 3 lbs, 2 oz. each. The  2-4-2T had no problem pulling this consist on mostly level track.  Last month the 2-4-2T handled four Delton coaches at one of our club's public displays.  The locomotive and its consist operated on track that had 2 foot radius curves.

It's not a stump puller but will handle a reasonable consist given its size and weight.

G scale CAVEMAN

i bought both these engines from LANTZ TRAIN SHOP  (WHOLESALE TRAINS)
the balwin 2-4-2 steam loco is the one with no sound i talked about ...
and the other#9159  2-6-0 baldwin mogul engine has a tender that shorts out the engine and my track sound dosen't work
when i keep the tender un plug from the engine ....the engine runs fine only when i hook up both plugs into the engine it shorts out... this engine came with no owners manual too....

i did not buy these engines from EBAY.....

Bucksco

You should go back to the store and explain your problem to see if they can help you. The Bachmann service department is also available to help you out.

Loco Bill Canelos

I would definitely take the engines back to the dealer,  a good dealer will try to make things right.  I had a problem once with an LGB MOgul and the dealer just exchanged the bad one for a new one. 

Remember that both the 2-4-2 and 2-6-0 Industrial prototypes were light engines which were not designed for heavy hauling or over the road service.  They were used in switching service at mines, quarries, or other industries to haul short trains from woods to mill, or to spot cars for loading etc.   If you want to haul more cars weight can be added to improve traction.   Also be sure your track is clean and dry,, and the drivers are also free of oil, and that he cars you are pulling roll freely.   
On the industrial 2-6-0 it may be that you have the crossed the wires by plugging them into the wrong socket causing a short of some kind. 

If the Dealer will not help, definitely contact Bachmann service  for help.

While it is hard to diagnose the specifics of your problem with the 2-6-0, the suggestions made are to try to help in some small way.
Sorry you are having problems, hopefully things will work out in the end.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

This is a very  nice engine....runs fine!!....Looking at the enclosed diagrams, i attempted to remove the cab to install a crew.   Screws came out fine...but the steam piping would not budge so i could move the cab.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
bob