News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Superelevation using EZ Track

Started by MR536, July 10, 2011, 02:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR536

I have been reading this page on Superelevation  http://www.trackplanning.com/superelevation.htm  as I am wondering if there is a chance I can apply it to my existing EZ Track!  It has good information on using Styrene and other materials, sizes, etc  ... but nothing about where to apply it...must I remove the roadbed from beneath the track?

Marv

jward

i would thinkyou could fasten one end of the roadbed flat to the table, and shim up the outside edge of the other end with index card. be careful how much tilt you put in the track. it can cause operational problems with long trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

You cannot really remove the roadbed from the track without damaging something.   The best idea as suggested by Jim is to shim under the roadbed itself. 8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

MR536

Many thanks for the info....I thought for a minute I would need to take apart the roadbed but like you said...could cause more problems that I don't need....I will just adjust the speed going into the turns to keep it all on the track
Thanks again
Marv

Doneldon

536-

I did this on a layout for my grandson. It's important to put the superelevation in gradually. I used thin shirt cardboard (the kind that comes with cheap shirts or from the cleaners). I added one layer per piece of sectional track. It's best if you start at the last piece of straight track before the curve so you aren't rotating the track in two dimensions at the same time. Also, I wouldn't start a superelevated section at a turnout because turnouts like to have a nice, flat, undisturbed foundation. Going up one section at a time may sound pointless but you really only need a couple of degrees of rotation to get the look and operational benefits. If you have so much superelevation that it's noticeable you have too much. Good luck!
                                                                                                                        -- D