News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RF-16's

Started by oldline1, July 10, 2011, 07:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldline1

WOW!! I just went swimming on ebay and found some Sharks!

I got an ABA set for a great price. I have only tested them so far but I'm very impressed with the way they run and look. My only complaint is the huge distance between the units. Has anyone done any mods on theirs to close up the gap? Has anyone done any detailing or added a Tsunami to one yet?

Thanks, Bachmann!!

Roger Huber

jward

you could try replacing the couplers between the units with ones with a shorter shank.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

k3a

I agree. Mine run fine. The distance between the units make them look like Lionel toy trains. So far I have not been able to get an answer to the question: What is the CORRECT distance between coupled units. This includes the gurus at Model Railroader. Anybody here have an answer?

k3a

jward

obviously the "gurus" can't take the time to look things up. and they wonder why i won't subscribe......

i found the following within minutes in my library of books. these dimensions are taken from drawings in the book "new york central system diesel locomotives," by wm d edson......
overall distance between pulling faces (inside edges of coupler knuckles) for the rf16 a unit: 54' 8", b unit 53' 2".
distance. pulling face to center of truck, rear rf16a, both ends, rf16b 12' 6"
distance, pulling face to centerline of nearest axle, locations as above 7'7"

from this, we can surmise that the distance between the nearest two axles on a pair of coupled sharks is 15'2" or just a shade over 2" actual in HO scale.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

ol1-

The easiest thing to do is put your locos on the sharpest curve on your layout, with no couplers, and see what spacing you need. Then either install couplers with the correct shank length or, if you don't plan on uncoupling the units, make a drawbar of the minimum distance you have. A drawbar will never uncouple and it will give you your couplers back so you can use them elsewhere.

-- D

BestSnowman

Like Donalden said there isn't one single correct answer, it depends on where you want to run it. If Bachmann made it prototypically correct they probably wouldn't go around 18" radius curves that everyone seems to want.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

i disagree. the "correct" answer is the one found on the blueprints for the prototype. however what is correct and what is practical can be very different. obviously what you'd want is a compromise you can live with, even if it is not correct.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA