When a major wrench gets thrown in the works!

Started by Penn_senseless, July 11, 2011, 10:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn_senseless

id like some input from other modellers out there...

Have any of you ever done a major "course correction" due to a new product being released, such as a dream engine.

There recent few years have seen an explosion in new types of trains being released in model form. This Spectrum EM-1 is a major game changer for me. Fortuntely im oly working on benchwork and can change pretty easily.

I wonder how far some have gotten on layouts, then scrapped them due to their dream product being released

jonathan

I don't know about a major product being released, but I changed from a modern era layout (CSX & Amtrak) to the Baltimore & Ohio.

It happened as I studied railroad history and gained great enthusiasm for a dead railroad, that just happened to be the first American rail carrier.  Top that with all the interesting innovations the B&O attempted in their history, just makes for fascinating modeling possibilities.

Now as far as changing the layout:  I've left the benchwork and trackwork in place.  It will really be a matter of changing the structures, vehicles, streets, people, ad infinitum.  Really it's just an era change.  I'm in no hurry.  I will replace things as I find parts of the B&O scenery I wish to model.

Replacing my roster of locomotives and rolling stock has been my first project through the change.

If the EM-1 thrills you, just wait until you discover the craftsman kits out there.  Nothing better than building your cars from the ground up.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

unless the "game changer" requires wider radius, why would you tear down and start over?

put another way, if you've got a well designed layout and enough space for the wider radius curves, it's a non issue. if you don't have space for the wider curves, thentearing down and rebuilding isn't going to give them to you. then it's time to join a club where you can run your em1 to your heart's content.

if you are in the planning stages, then you can make the adjustments to accomodate the larger engine. it's much more difficult once the track and scenery are down.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

The model description doesn't indicate a minimum radius, but I would not expect (or want) to run the EM-1 on less than 22-24" radius.  If that means a design change, so be it.  You will probably be happier for it anyhow, since the larger radius will allow greater flexibility in roster selection and better appearance when running the trains.

Doneldon

Penn-

Many model rails will tell you that a layout is never done, that is, it's always subject to changes along the way. Some of those changes are easy to make, others are more work. Some changes can happen without major disruption to operations while others bring things to a screeching halt. What's right for you is completely within your purvue. If you want to do big changes, good luck with them. If you just want to tweek things a little, good luck with that, too. But, and this is an important cautionary note, be aware that building a layout which isn't what you want (considerations about time, space and cost notwithstanding) will probably be a disappointment. So make sure that your railroad is as close to what you want when those time, space and cost considerations do finally enter your final decision. Whatever you do, have fun with it. We have lots of fancy names for our trains but, let's face it, they are toys that help us have fun. So make the best you can.

-- D

CNE Runner

Anyone who has been in the hobby for any appreciable length of time has probably made some changes in layout location, era, or named railroad. In my own case, I guess it was 6 or 7 years ago when I decided to 'leave' the modern era and go back to the 1880s. This move meant that I 'retired' my trusty MP-15DC and GP-35 to the storage shelf and added new motive power as well as a whole 'collection' of period rolling stock. Due to reoccurring turnout problems, I also decided to completely rebuild the layout with a new track plan. [I should pause and mention that my wife would be a good candidate for sainthood.]

The new layout lasted 5 years or so when our guest room became available for a small shelf layout. Discovering Carl Arendt's website inspired me to build the original Monks' Island Railway (which was modified from the original design in Carl's Trackmobile contest). Due to its small size [11"x 60"], it meant retirement for my two beloved Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s (gosh, that storage shelf is getting crowded).

Probably six months after the initial Monks' Island was started, I decided to add another 'addition' measuring 15"x 62" - following yet another track plan from the Arendt website. Motive power changed again beginning with a Mantua 0-6-0T (extremely poor runner), through a period running a Bachmann Plymouth WDT(ish) switcher, and finally the Bachmann GE 45 Ton (an outstanding locomotive that I am in debt to some Forum member suggesting...many thanks).

Along with a change in location, track plan, addition, and motive power came a 'culling out' of rolling stock that didn't match the year my railway was sited (summer 1950). [Have no fear...my 19th century stuff is safely stored and awaiting a future change.] My point is that change is inevitable in model railroading. Most of the 'greats of the hobby' have made extensive changes in their layouts...and continue to do so.

So Penn, don't think of it as change...rather economic stimulus for those of us that are vendors at model railroad shows.

Keep 'em rolling,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"