News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

One prediction for the future

Started by WTierce1, July 10, 2011, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I know that the new items have been announced and the new Hiesler caught my attention. One thing that I figure now that Bachmann has the full logging assortment in Large and On30 most likely they will come out with a HO two or three truck Hiesler in HO scale. I'm hoping a three truck but that is just me. Another reason they may is that they already have the Shay and Climax in HO. This is just a thought so don't start bickering. So what do all the folks out there think?
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

mattyg1306

Quote from: wtierce on July 10, 2011, 05:17:31 PM
I know that the new items have been announced and the new Hiesler caught my attention. One thing that I figure now that Bachmann has the full logging assortment in Large and On30 most likely they will come out with a HO two or three truck Hiesler in HO scale. I'm hoping a three truck but that is just me. Another reason they may is that they already have the Shay and Climax in HO. This is just a thought so don't start bickering. So what do all the folks out there think?

I would like to see a three truck Heisler myself, and it does only make sense really that it would come next.  On the other hand, Rivarossi already released a Heisler for a limited time in 2005, maybe that is too new for Bachmann to release a "duplicate"?  I'm sure Bachmann would use a better (or at least different) prototype engine than Rivarossi did, though.

Personally, I was hoping the Bachmann rep who came to Cass and let slip that #6 was in the works for HO meant that it would be out this year, but I suppose we'll have to wait a while longer.  I saw a thread on here about it a couple weeks ago but didn't get a chance to read it...now I can't seem to find it.  Hopefully they didn't scrap the project...  Anyone else see that thread or have any new info?

Anyway, as you may be able to tell from my thumbnail, I really enjoy Bachmann's HO Cass line...whether its a Big Six or Heisler #6 or something else related, I hope they will continue to use Cass and/or West Virginia in general as a prototype...I think West Virginia/Western Maryland are probably among the top contenders for most common layout settings based on East Coast prototypes...hopefully they will keep it going in HO! 8)   

WTierce1

I agree. I live in Georgia and am hoping that we might g up there some time soon. My grandparents have been their before but I haven't.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ebtnut

It is possible that Bachmann may have in mind doing with they did with the Climaxes - the On30 and the HO models have a very similar drive train, maybe even with common parts.  The newly-announced On30 Heisler is such a small loco that I would not put it past them to use that drive as the basis for a medium sized Heisler in HO down the road. 

thewvnetwork

Quote from: mattyg1306 on July 11, 2011, 12:04:05 AM

I would like to see a three truck Heisler myself, and it does only make sense really that it would come next.  On the other hand, Rivarossi already released a Heisler for a limited time in 2005, maybe that is too new for Bachmann to release a "duplicate"?  I'm sure Bachmann would use a better (or at least different) prototype engine than Rivarossi did, though.

Personally, I was hoping the Bachmann rep who came to Cass and let slip that #6 was in the works for HO meant that it would be out this year, but I suppose we'll have to wait a while longer.  I saw a thread on here about it a couple weeks ago but didn't get a chance to read it...now I can't seem to find it.  Hopefully they didn't scrap the project...  Anyone else see that thread or have any new info?

Anyway, as you may be able to tell from my thumbnail, I really enjoy Bachmann's HO Cass line...whether its a Big Six or Heisler #6 or something else related, I hope they will continue to use Cass and/or West Virginia in general as a prototype...I think West Virginia/Western Maryland are probably among the top contenders for most common layout settings based on East Coast prototypes...hopefully they will keep it going in HO! 8)  

@mattyg--
So u were there in person when the Bachmnann guy was at Cass?  What all did he say exactly?  I wasn't there in person when he was, but came down on Sunday and a couple friends told me what he said.  They've never lied before, but everyone's negative response to the "Big Six" thread made me think they had heard wrong or something.  Maybe u can clear it up! BTW, for some reason, the topic was deleted by Yardmaster.  

Quote from: wtierce on July 11, 2011, 09:08:48 AM
I agree. I live in Georgia and am hoping that we might g up there some time soon. My grandparents have been their before but I haven't.

And, wtierce, it really is one of the best places for geared steam fans...I'd venture to say Cass  is the most authentic representation of a logging railroad that there is...complete with steep grades and sharp curves.  It also lives up to its name earnestly...it is the most scenic train ride I've ever been on:  it takes you deep into the Monongahela National Forest, there are very few homes along the line, it doesn't really go through anyone's backyard, and there really isn't any garbage along the tracks like some other lines I've been on.  When you visit, I also recommend you make time for the Tygart Flyer out of Elkins...it is also a beautiful trip, and actually takes you to the very end of the original Cass logging era trackage that ran past High Falls to Bemis!  This will give you an idea of just how large the WVP&P empire really was when it was at Cass!

Quote from: ebtnut on July 11, 2011, 01:33:38 PM
It is possible that Bachmann may have in mind doing with they did with the Climaxes - the On30 and the HO models have a very similar drive train, maybe even with common parts.  The newly-announced On30 Heisler is such a small loco that I would not put it past them to use that drive as the basis for a medium sized Heisler in HO down the road.  

I hope you are right, ebtnut!  Would be nice to see a Bachmann version of the Heisler in HO!

ebtnut

If you get to the Cass area, don't overlook the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley operation at Durbin, about 16 miles north of Cass.  They have one of the very few working Climaxes, and run a fine trip down along the upper Greenbrier River.  The line is the former C&O branch, which also ran through Cass.  A lot of the trackage was washed away in a major flood back in the 1980's, but there is some hope that it may be restored so the two lines could once again connect as one. 

The Tygart Flyer is diesel, but neat first generation diesels - F-7 and WM BL-2! 

mattyg1306

Quote from: thewvnetwork on July 11, 2011, 05:06:31 PM

@mattyg--
So u were there in person when the Bachmnann guy was at Cass?  What all did he say exactly?  I wasn't there in person when he was, but came down on Sunday and a couple friends told me what he said.  They've never lied before, but everyone's negative response to the "Big Six" thread made me think they had heard wrong or something.  Maybe u can clear it up! BTW, for some reason, the topic was deleted by Yardmaster.  

Yeah, I overheard him say that "Number 6" was in the works, but, at Cass, that could mean two different things.  I originally thought it was Big Six myself, but now, with the On30 model, the Heisler would actually make more sense.  I only heard him tell a few people, it wasn't a big announcement as far as I know, although I was outside taking photos of the equipment when he was talking to the crowd so I don't know for sure.  

Quote from: ebtnut on July 12, 2011, 01:05:55 PM
If you get to the Cass area, don't overlook the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley operation at Durbin, about 16 miles north of Cass.  They have one of the very few working Climaxes, and run a fine trip down along the upper Greenbrier River.  The line is the former C&O branch, which also ran through Cass.  A lot of the trackage was washed away in a major flood back in the 1980's, but there is some hope that it may be restored so the two lines could once again connect as one.  

The Tygart Flyer is diesel, but neat first generation diesels - F-7 and WM BL-2!  

I agree. I rode the Climax on Railfan Weekend...it is a pretty trip, but the line is in pretty bad shape.  It is nice to see the Climax pull the former Kinzua car though...they even had a short runby since it was Railfan Weekend.  Personally, I actually prefer the scenery of the Tygart Flyer...even though it isn't steam (YET...presumably it will be when they finish restoring the West Virginia Northern 2-8-0!), and the overall experience is much more worth the money than the Durbin operation.  While at Durbin, the conductor mentioned that the line will never be rebuilt all the way to Cass because there is one section of track almost a mile long where the grade is missing entirely...its not just that the tracks are displaced.  There are plans, however, to reach the town of Hosterman, which is 3 miles from the present terminus.  This will bring the total route length to 8 miles.  As a couple of people have pointed out, there may be an alterior motive for not rebuilding all the way to Cass...if they were to do so, the Durbin line would have to comply with FRA guidelines, whereas now they are exempt because they are landlocked.   8)