News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman track

Started by Dennis44236, July 11, 2011, 07:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis44236

I am currently replacing about 300 ft. of Atlas track and switches with Bachman Nickel Silver Easy Track. I loved the look of my layout and am trying to duplicate it. It has DCC power using a Prodigy Express Wireless system  I have several questions about the Bachman equipment:
1. The controllers for the #6 remote crossover turnouts do not seem to have a way to mount them to the side of the table. Any suggestions?
2. I have a reversing loop in my layout.  I have a reversing loop module but I need to install insulated track connectors. I have found it very difficult, if not impossible, to remove the connectors from the Bachman track. Any suggestions.
3. How do people handle road crossings? I have one of the Bachman crossing gates and it is fine for one track, but I have areas where the road crosses two parallel tracks. Any suggestions.

Doneldon

Dennis-

1. To the best of my knowledge, the Bachmann turnout controllers must remain adjacent to their turnouts. You can remove or physically disconnect them but that would be a lot of work and waste. Why not just use someone else's turnouts and the switch machines of your choice?

2. Always a toughie. The factory applied rail joiners are sort of spot welded to the undersides of the rails to which they are attached. They do come off but you must be very careful. I use a scalpel or thin screwdriver to spread the joiner apart, and then wiggle and twist GENTLY until the weld lets go. Be sure to provide support for the rail you are taking the joiner from or you will rip up all of the tiny plastic spike heads which keep the rails attached to the roadbed. You can generally mend this but it's better to prevent the problem than to have to fix it. Note that if you merely pull the rail out without wrecking the plastic spike heads, you can carefully slide it back in. In fact, I have one friend who does this on purpose. He pulls the rail and its rail joiner out a half inch or so and then uses a knife, chisel or screwdriver to loosen the joiner. A careful slide back and he's all set. Remember, too, that you won't be able to reuse the removed railjoiner. It will be too mangled by its removal.

3. I just build up road crossings with pavement or boards regardless of the size of the road or the number of tracks. Remember to post a sign showing the number of tracks where roads cross multiple tracks.

Good luck and, as the Bach Man says, "Have fun."
                                                                               -- D

Jerrys HO

Dennis,
    I have one  dcc crossover and one switched crossover. I plan on replacing the switched one with another dcc one as they work fine using the controller. I may be misunderstanding Doneldon but if you are referring to the switch controller you could either replace the connecting leads with longer one's or cut and splice the wire to what ever length you need. I secured mine to the panel with a small amount of glue.
    Bachmann does sell the insulated power strips for reverse loops PN#44597. I do not have any loops as of yet but do plan on at least one.
    Doneldons way is great but I have used balsa wood strips in the past and that works good also.
Jerry

Terry Toenges

Perhaps "D" misunderstood?
Feel like a Mogul.

Jerrys HO

Dennis44236

Thanks for your help.  I think I have figured out all of my problems. For attaching the switch controllers to the side of the table, I will use double sided tape. For the reverse loop, I will use the Bachman insulated track. For the road crossings, I will use the Bachman crossing gates for single tracks, and make up a ramp out of styrene strips and/or drywall compound for the double track crossings. There are only two.

Thanks again.

Terry Toenges

Jerry - I meant Donaldon, not Dennis. We're talking about the controllers right? As you said, the controllers aren't attached to the turnouts.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jerrys HO

Terry,
   I knew who and what you were talking about.
Jerry

Terry Toenges

So then why would he say this and why would it be a lot of work and waste to unplug a wire and run an extension wire to the side of the table? Is it so he can convince Dennis not to buy Bachmann turnouts?
"1. To the best of my knowledge, the Bachmann turnout controllers must remain adjacent to their turnouts. You can remove or physically disconnect them but that would be a lot of work and waste. Why not just use someone else's turnouts and the switch machines of your choice?"
Feel like a Mogul.

Jim Banner

Gentlemen, gentlemen.  Shall we have switch machines at 20 paces?  At the count of ten, each of you can turn and control your machines.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Terry-

You might find it helpful to ask the person you are wondering about what's up rather than going to a third person who has no answers. Your effort was foolish, nonproductive and insulting. However, I note the conspiracy stuff about my plot to discourage the poster from buying Bachmann's products, and that sure explains a lot.

The simple fact, as you would have learned had you asked directl, is that I thought Dennis meant the switch machine rather than the electrical switch which controls the switch machine. You probably don't believe me though since you've already conjurred my true motivation. Why don't you discuss our issue with your friends who believe that the aliens from Roswell NM were taken to Area 51, the Mafia killed JFK and the moon landing was just a special effects spectacular in a Hollywood sound stage.

Should you have questions about me in the future, please ask them directly of me. While I have no confidence that you'll allow yourself to believe me, at least you won't insult me again. And I'll be grateful for that. This will also help you avoid talking about someone behind that person's back but in public, which reflects poorly on your upbringing.

Doneldon Dennis

Jerrys HO

Doneldon,
With all do respect I had the correct answer. I just did not want to disrespect you in anyway as you do offer great advice.
Jerry

Terry Toenges

Donaldon - My original question was "Perhaps "D" misunderstood?" when Jerry decided that you didn't misunderstand. So, if you didn't misunderstand, then you were passing bad scoop. Perhaps Jerry should have allowed you to say whether or not you misunderstood rather than comment for you. I took it from Jerry's post that you are never wrong and I shouldn't question your post.
I knew you would join the thread posts sooner or later to straighten it out as to what your thoughts were. I couldn't call you up and say "There's a thread you need to look at."
As it turns out, you did misunderstand, as you readily admit. Dennis did say "controller", not "switch machine".
I was simply trying to clarify what was meant by your post.
When you said to Dennis, "Why not just use someone else's turnouts and the switch machines of your choice?", you were trying to discourage him from using the Bachmann turnouts. All because you misunderstood the question.
Now, if you want to start disrespecting my family and my upbringing, we can go to war on here.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Donaldon - By the way, when I clicked on your name, it said email hidden, so I couldn't ask you directly.
Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

Jerry-

Thank you. I respect your posts and ideas. My anger was not about you in any way. And, yes, you had the correct answer to OP's question. I didn't. I certainly didn't think my errantly answering an unasked question would lead to the accusations which ensued.

-- D

Terry-

You still don't get it, do you?

1.  Nothing prevented you from contacting me directly; several posters do this routinely so your excuse about my private email is specious. My guess (NB: I'm taking ownership for my thought rather than telling you yours) is that you didn't even check this until after you saw my response to your accusatory post. I believe that all human behavior is motivated and the record clearly shows that you chose to malign me behind my back in public when you had a far more appropriate alternative.
    2.  The funny thing is that I misunderstood so thoroughly that I didn't even know what it was that I had apparently misunderstood until I read your malodorous post. I jumped to the conclusion (NB: personal ownership of my thoughts) that the OP meant his switch machine because I could not, and still barely can, understand how the OP could be confused about how to separate the turnout from the controller since they are not attached to one another in the first place. The only remaining attached piece I know of is the switch machine so it seemed logical that was what the OP meant. Let's be realistic. Many posters aren't sure about specific terminology and even old hands sometimes use terms a bit sloppily. I know I do. Additionally, if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I qualified my response by starting with the clause "To the best of my knowledge." That clearly leaves the door open for others to chime in to say something to the effect of "why of course you can remove the controller/switch machine."
    3.  You still accuse me of "trying to discourage him from using the Bachmann turnouts." That is a direct quote from your most recent post. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was merely suggesting a way to avoid the problem of relocating switch machines since Bachmann's can't be relocated easily. If I were going to discourage someone from using Bachmann products I would have suggested avoiding them across the board. But if you read carefully, I specifically mentioned only using another supplier's turnouts and who ever's switch machines he wanted. Your continued assertion that I tried to discourage the OP from using Bachmann track demonstrates that you still think you know my motivations better than I know them myself. I can't help wondering if these are your feelings projected on to me. Note that I used the words wondering and if. That's how one shows ownership of a statement or hypothesis without making an assertion of fact, as you have now done twice.
    4.  Your most recent post does nothing to demonstrate an ability to communicate respectfully, to take responsibility for your actions or to apologize when you are in the wrong. Accordingly, I can only point out your continued disservice to yourself and the upbringing you purport to defend.

Doneldon Dennis