News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Bach-man

Started by Country Joe, July 13, 2011, 01:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Joe

Why does Bachmann make so few road names and only one cab number per road? I think they could sell many more engines and cars by painting and lettering them for different roads. They also seem to offer the same roads and numbers for years. I have been waiting for a New York Central 2-8-0 for years.

I'm not complaining, just wondering. Bachmann makes NYC models. I have the ten wheeler, the GP7 is on order, and I will be ordering the RS3 and doodlebug. It just seems they could sell more by offering more roads.

Thanks.

in_eden

Please don't forget that the NYC ran one heck of a heavy 4-8-2. They called theirs "Mohawks" though. You'd need an NYC tender, add some box-pox drivers... then make several versions. With and without deflectors, later era boiler fronts... Make a couple of road numbers each... I think you'd sell a lot.

It's like the B&O. Why not a heavy 4-8-2 for the B&O? They pretty much ended the steam era on the road as the mainstay along with the EM-1 (which is coming in HO this year... lucky...) T3s and T4s could be easily derived from the current 4-8-2 model.

4-6-0 in B&O would be pretty logical as well...

B&O also had some pretty famous 2-10-2's.

Why make skipgear continue to build his own?

skipgear

The problem is, the boilers for all those mentioned are radically different than the current offerings from Bachmann. It would require tooling a new boiler for one road. The problem is, where do they draw the line on "close enough"?

I have been searching since the 4-6-0 was released for a "close enough" B&O 4-6-0 so that I can number mine. NERails posted one a couple weeks ago that is finally what I consider close enough to use that number.

The B&O 2-10-2 is a radically different boiler, it would take more than paint and a tender to come close to the USRA 2-10-2.

The B&O / BRP Mountains, that is one that could be pulled off with the correct tender and a new pilot. That would be a close enough for me. If the EM-1 comes to N...then the right tender will be available, or at least a close enough.

The NYC Mohawks were larger loco's than the USRA Heavy with larger drivers. Slapping a Mohawk boiler on a Bachmann's Heavy mountain just wouldn't look right.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

in_eden

I was envisioning new boiler castings (big six). Make it a premeir loco, specific to the B&O market.
I suppose the Mohawk would require too much new of everything... pretty much a new model.
Your other idea of an EM-1 would help with the B&O wishes...
Eh... someone will make some of this stuff someday... probably...