News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cutting Track?

Started by Justin, July 13, 2011, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Hey everyone, I'm using Atlas HO code 83 flex track on my layout and I have to cut pieces to fit obviously. I have the orange handled Xuron track cutters but my cuts still come out badly. Can anybody give me some tips to help me get better cuts or maybe clean up the cuts? Thanks!

Jerrys HO

I use a dremel with a cutting blade. They are available at most hobby shops and hardware stores. Harbor freight also has good prices on them and accessories.

jward

your rail nippers are probably the best way to cut rail. i only use a dremel tool on track that has already been laid, and the rail nippers on everything else.

to clean up the rail ends after you cut them, use a flat mill fileto smooth the ends and knock any borrs off. this is a good idea with any rail end whether you've cut it or not. carefully file the top, bottms, and inside and outside edges of the rail. there should be a slight bevel on the ends when you are done.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

metrohobbies

When using the Xuron cutters make sure the flat side of the cutter is facing the side of the cut you are saving. After cutting flip the currters over and trim the cut end of the scrap piece if you are going to use it elsewhere. If using the rotary cut off tool with the standard abrasive disks use caution as they break easy and fly far at high speed. It is more expensive ($15-20US) but the diamond cutting wheel won't break easy and lasts for a really long time.

Doneldon

grazzi-

Great screen name!

ALWAYS use eye protection when using a Dremel tool and keep delicate body parts out of the line of the cutter wheel. Those cut off wheels fracture easily and can seriously damage your eye if a piece hits it.

You can use a Zona saw but you must carefully support your rails while you are cutting them.

A Xuron rail nipper is the best, quickest  and easiest, IMHO, but plan on doing at least a little clean with a file no matter which tool you use.

-- D