What is the best way to join 18" & 22" radius ovals?

Started by BlueFox, July 18, 2011, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFox

What would be the best way to join 18" & 22" radius E-Z Track ovals?  Switches or crossovers?

Frank

jettrainfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Joe Satnik

Dear Frank,

If you don't want to back up through a single crossover, you will need 2 crossovers, one left, one right. 

The remote crossovers (44575 and 44576) are best suited for use with a DCC controller to power/control multiple locomotives,

plus an extra AC accessories transformer to power the switch points.

If you have one crossover on each long side of your table, 

you will need to widen the inner oval with two 3" straight pieces 44512 (one in the middle of each 18" radius half-circle) to nicely mate with the outer oval.

If you decide to use 2 regular DC power packs with DC block wiring, you will need to significantly modify (make multiple cuts to) both crossovers.

Please let us know your decision (DCC vs. DC block wiring) so we may guide you further.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

BlueFox

My layout will be DCC only.  I have a NCE Power Cab I already have on hand and using on my existing DC/DCC layout with a control panel.  I plan on removing all the brass track and wooden roadbed (I will reuse it for yard tracks, etc., not mainlines and without the wooden roadbed) and start over with NS track, either code 83 or 100 (I haven't made up my mind yet on which code.)  I'll start with the double oval w/crossovers and go from there.  Also I'm considering adding an expansion to the 8' side to make it around 5 1/2' wide to be able to use larger raius curves (26" and 28").

Frank

Joe Satnik

Dear Frank,

Download and learn how to use Anyrail.com.  

Free for the first 50 track pieces, which is enough to help resolve any "local" track fitting problem before you buy your track.

EZ-Track is Code 100 only.

Expanding your width is a great. 

Use casters and put one edge against the wall if you run out of room. 

Pull the layout out from the wall to access the other side for derailments or maintenance.     

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  

Edit:  Added "EZ-track..." and all after.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.