News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old passenger car coupler conversion

Started by NWsteam, July 13, 2011, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

I just acquired a set of like new Bachmann N&W Powhatten Arrow passenger cars.  Very happy with them even though everyone seems to talk trash about them. I would like to install lights, knuckle couplers, and possibly new trucks. The trucks can wait and I'm not ready to tackle lights just yet but the couplers need to be changed (They are the old horn hook/X2F type). My question is what couplers to buy? I would like them to be body mounted and I'm pretty sure Bachmann doesn't offer anything of that sort. That means they will be Kadees. Any idea what I need to purchase? i'm not super family with anything outside of Bachmann couplers. Thanks for any input.

-Brad

ACY

I am not familiar with those is that a heavyweight or streamlined set, do you have a picture?

Doneldon

NW-

I'm with you. I'm pretty sure you are talking about the Spectrum heavyweight passenger cars and I like them a lot. Their couplers are a problem, however. I found the linkage between the trucks and couplers difficult to work with replacement couplers. I ended up just putting dummy couplers on since it's not generally necessary to switch passenger equipment.
                                                                                   -- D

Jim Banner

Have you checked the Kadee site to see what they suggest?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NWsteam

ACY & Doneldon- Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are really old. Item # 43-1080. I think these might be the cars Rivarossi made for Bachmann.

Jim- So sorry! I didn't even realize you could do that on Kadee's site. I think they suggest #37? Maybe a #508 if they are the rivarossi cars.

I will post pictures asap.

I'm 99.9% sure these are the same...http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Bachmann-HO-Norfolk-Western-Powhatan-Arrow-Set-NEW-/200593046502

-Brad

Barney R

NWsteam- These cars look very nice and they do look like old Rivarossi heavyweights.
If they are and you want to use Kadee, the conversion kits are #505 for 6 wheel truck and #508 for 4 wheel truck. I have installed these on several sets of my Rivarossi and I am very pleased with the results.

Barney

metrohobbies

They do indeed look like the old Rivarossi cars. If you want to remove the talgo style couplers you can use the body coupler conversions from Adair Shops. They are available from my shop and I can do the conversions for you. As for lighting you could use the Easy Peasy lighting from Rapido Trains, also available from my shop, that are battery powered so truck wiring and dirty track won't factor in.

www.metrohobbies.goods.officelive.com

Doneldon

mh-

Quote from: metrohobbies on July 18, 2011, 01:53:31 AM
As for lighting you could use the Easy Peasy lighting from Rapido Trains.

Good product but very pricey.
                                                       -- D