News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing Front Coupler on 2-6-0

Started by OldStone, July 02, 2007, 03:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldStone

A useful mogul needs a working front coupler.  I also wanted to keep the "cowcatcher look"....see photo below.  Removed the dummy coupler and the point-section of the pilot.  A block of wood the same height as the bottom of the coupler-box opening let me deepen it with a sanding stick while keeping everything square.  Made snug fit for Kadee #13 kit  "universal adapter plate (a box with no ears) and centering spring.  Drilled and tapped up from the bottom for 2-56 black nylon screw from Kadee 32 kit which also provided the medium-overset-shank 9/32" coupler. The ugly, long 25/64" coupler proved unnecessary.  Coupler box needs a shim on each side or in the rear to keep it from pivoting...being VERY CAREFUL NOT to glue it in place (for future coupler removal).  Now to paint the exposed portion of the spring black.  It works well.   

eric

Looks good and I like it a lot better than the adapter kits that remove the "cow catcher" entirely.  Very nice work.

ebtbob

Old Stone,

If you used the nylon screw,  why not just cut it off with a pair of snippers?

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

OldStone

Bob:

I could cut it off, easily....probably will.  But in "real life", being black, the threads don't show unless you look very closely and it came out to just the right height to appear to be holding up the lifter.  Your observation is valid....thanks.