News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#5 turnouts

Started by Dennis44236, July 14, 2011, 03:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis44236

I'm almost afraid to ask another question after the responses to the previous one stirred up such anger, but I will:

I have some Bachman #5 turnouts. I have found that it is not possible to connect track to both the straight end and the turned out end. The plastic sides of the track (roadbed) are in the way. I suppose I could cut off a corner of one of the pieces, but that doesn't seem like it should be necessary.

Any suggestions.

Jerrys HO

There should have been a small extension track that came with it . If you look at the side it has a line marked on it, You can cut that piece right on the line and it will fit. I have used different pieces and just measured it out and cut the side off with my dremel tool.
Don't let the bickering stop you from asking these guy's are great and every now and then one will disagree. In the end it's all good.
Jerry

captain1313

If you have any factory short pieces of straight track look on the bottom.  Some are scored so you can bend them and get a clean break.  I've just cut my own.

Kevin

Dennis44236

Thank you. It works great.

Doneldon

Dennis-

You can also do surgery on the turnout roadbed and adjacent track roadbed to make things work. You can even cut the actual rails on the turnout if you are careful. This can be helpful when you're trying to run yard tracks closer to one another.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

mf5117

hey dennis keep coming back no matter what . lot of good help here .

regards mf5117

Terry Toenges

I've often cut off a corner of a piece of track I want to butt up to a turnout. While not pretty, I use a pliers to twist the end part off, then twist the side back and forth until it breaks. Then file it down if necessary.
I don't do it to the turnouts because they cost more. I'd rather screw up a single piece than a turnout.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The only time I've trimmed turnouts is to make stub ones out of the standard turnouts like below -

In the second pic, I added two short straights once I cut it -
Feel like a Mogul.