Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

I have a Bachmann Large Scale box car "Rath Packing Co."

Does anyone know the Bachmann number?
Thanks
Rod

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Rod,

Your Rath box car does NOT have a Bachamnn number.  This is because It was available only in a Bachamnn Set 90012 called the Red Comet.  It was a nice set with a Santa Fe Big Hauler 4-6-0, the Rath Box car, a B&O Flat Car and an ATSF combine.  Some sources say that the set came out in late 1989, others say 1990.   

The set was never in the Bachmann  Catalog, and the Rath Box car was never sold separately.  Since it never sold in an individual box, it never got a separate Bachmann number.

When you see them for sale they are almost never in a box and are for sale by someone who bought the set cheap and are trying to make a buck selling the set parts individually.  The only ones I have ever seen in a box were when someone put it in the wrong box or put it in an unmarked box.  There was one source that indicated they were some tan Rath cars rather than the white.  I have never found a tan one, and suspect that the white was somehow dirty or sun faded in some way. 

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that the way of things with Bachamnn.   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ThinkerT

Loco Bill -

I bought the cars from that set as part of my 'getting into G scale' (and getting back into model railroading) program about five years back.  That group of cars also came with an AT&SF bobber caboose. 

Loco Bill Canelos

ThinkerT,
  You may be thinking of set 90011 which did have an ATSF Bobber caboose, it was called the Thunderbolt Express. Here is the info on it:

90011   ATSF   Thunderbolt Express   1989   1992   Freight   49   Ver 2   Vic Gold Min Gon  #328    ATSF Bob Cab #425

Here is the info on the Red Comet:

90012   ATSF   Red Comet   1990?   Ltd Run   Mixed   49   Ver2   Rath Boxcar RPRX#608   B&O Flat #1525   ATSF Combine #24

The above info is how the sets originally came from Bachmann.   
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!