30, 45, and 60 degree EZ track crossing use

Started by czechwizard, July 15, 2011, 08:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

Hi, I'm relatively new to HO scale railroading, I had a decent layout when I was 17 back in the Czech Republic, 20 years ago, where I bought all the good Piko stuff for literally peanuts, from fella communist Eastern Germany. Nowadays their capitalist stuff, the same thing plus DCC, costs a lot of Euros, and since I ended up in the tropics of impoverished Nicaragua, Central America, I can proudly afford the cheapest Bachmann stuff. I've bought just about everything from The Favorite Spot on Ebay, and other US outlets. I'm planning to do a huge HO scale layout in one third of my living room, already got 5 tables of plywood, only to set it up, lol, all the train equipment still unpacked, I'll have 4 mainlines, 26, 28, 33, and 35 degree radius curves, a helix to connect the 2 mainline upper level.

I've bought like 12 pieces of 30 degree crossing, first I thought I could fit it with my #6 turnouts, but it seems I was wrong, then like 4 pieces of 45 and 60 degree crossing. I don't have a problem with 90 degree crossings.

I've been trying to get some ideas on 30, 45, and 60 degree crossings with # 6 turnouts and crossovers, something complicated, sophisticated, but I hardly can. I think I have enough room, but I definitely lack ideas. I've tried Anyrail, but I'm not good at it, and patience is an issue, etc.

So, guys, please, do you have any ideas regarding 30, 45, 60 degree EZ track crossings ? Thank you for trying to bear with me !

jward

usually #6 switches are about 10 degrees give or take. to make a scissors type double crossover you'd need a 20 degree crossing.

you could add a level crossing of your two track mainline with another 2 track line, that would use 4 crossings.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

czechwizard

Quote from: jward on July 15, 2011, 09:20:34 PM
usually #6 switches are about 10 degrees give or take. to make a scissors type double crossover you'd need a 20 degree crossing.

you could add a level crossing of your two track mainline with another 2 track line, that would use 4 crossings.

Could you please draw it for me, sir, something simple, basic ?

Doneldon

cz wiz-

It would look like a tic tac toe game.             |    |                   Each line represents both rails of a section of track. Basically, you'll
                                                           ____|__|___             have four 90o crossings connected in a giant crossing.
                                                                  |    |
                                                           ____|__|___
                                                                  |    |
                                                                  |    |

I wonder what this'll LL when I send it in!

-- D

czechwizard

Quote from: Doneldon on July 15, 2011, 09:34:50 PM
cz wiz-

It would look like a tic tac toe game.             |    |                   Each line represents both rails of a section of track. Basically, you'll
                                                           ____|__|___             have four 90o crossings connected in a giant crossing.
                                                                  |    |
                                                           ____|__|___
                                                                  |    |
                                                                  |    |

I wonder what this'll LL when I send it in!

-- D

nice, very nice, lol, yet 90 degree crossings are a piece of cake, how about 30, 45, 60 other than some figure 8 ?

Doneldon

cz wiz-

You can do the same thing. However, if you think I'm gonna
try to draw it you've got another think coming!
                                                                       -- D

czechwizard

Quote from: Doneldon on July 15, 2011, 11:58:34 PM
cz wiz-

You can do the same thing. However, if you think I'm gonna
try to draw it you've got another think coming!
                                                                       -- D

Yeah, you see, it's a real pain in the neck, using 30, 45, 60 degree crossing, I've spent entire days trying to draw something "working", but it won't fit no matter I have a lot of connectors of all kinds, please play with me, hell, I don't want this to be a lose-lose situation.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

You could try laying them out on the floor like I do and just start experimenting with different configurations. Sometimes it's quicker than trying to draw everything out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.