News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius and sound decoder question

Started by napa15, July 20, 2011, 01:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

I appreciate all of the feedback, comments and ideas. You have all been a big help. I have actually placed the engine on my layout with 18" turns and she is performing flawlessly at normal operating speed. Will keep a close eye on it though.

No more running it on the rug. I knew it was a bad idea, but try telling the 6 year old he can't watch the brand new engine run at all. Not fun!  :P

Doneldon, your suggestions about the folding table are very interesting and I just might use that idea. Thanks again. Now onto some scenery work, painting, etc. Kind of nervous about all that because I haven't done any of that before.  :)

Pacific Northern

When the Spectrum 2-10-2 was reviewed by Model Railroader, the comment was made that this engine would negotiate 18" curves. At the time I only had a test track with 18" curves and I tried running it and it ran fine.

However, others who have the 2-10-2 reported they had trouble with 18"

Same thing was true of the Heavy Mountain Spectrum, I have a couple of these and they ran fine on the 18" curves on the test track.

However, others report they were unable to run the engine on 18" radius curves. Some reported they need 24" curves to be able to run it. Obviously the amount of side to side movement has a lot to do with what minimum radius will work.

Pacific Northern

napa15

True, and another thing I thought of that could cause results to vary (based on some comments earlier in this thread) would be that each person's track layout is different. An engine of that size might run perfect on track that is laid perfectly straight and level. The it might not run so great on that same 18" track if it is not level (side to side I would think) or maybe even has some kinks where it connects, basically making it slightly tighter than 18". My main question/concern is with the driving trucks and if they could become damaged over time.