News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Cleaning Cars

Started by chaynes, July 21, 2011, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

This is conversation that comes up at least one time a year,  and while much of the info here has been rehashed a number of times,  there is still good info to listen to.
        Unless I missed it,  there is one thing to remember when cleaning track.
Richg mentioned how to clean rolling stock wheels.   Remember,  this a very important step in track cleaning.   If you do not clean your rolling stock and locomotive wheels regularly,  ESPECIALLY when you clean your track,  you will only be doing a poor job of cleaning.   Remember that most liquid cleaning agents leave a residue on the rails.   That residue will clean your wheels for you,  but where will the dirt and crud go?   Right back onto the rails. 
         I have four of the Walthers' skidder type reefers plus two of the
Centerline cleaning cars.   One of the CL cars is used wet and the other right behind it dry.    I run the skidder cars first to get the majority of the dirt and then follow them up with the CL cars.    When that is done I take a clean cloth and dry wipe my track.   I do this process once a quarter and find that sufficient for my railroad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

mabloodhound

Quote from: chaynes on July 22, 2011, 09:45:03 AM
...I have read about using automatic transmission fluid on the rails to enhance conductivity, but I have never heard of using graphite.  Do you need to run the pencil along all or most of the rails?  I would think that rolling stock wheels would not spread it as well as oil---Is this correct???

Chris

Do not use transmission fluid.

The graphite pencil will be spread a bit with the wheels but you really need to rub it over most all of the rails.   Once a year seems to be the norm.   NO oiling required!
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security