Cardboard and paper Buildings

Started by usher42, July 03, 2007, 12:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMunchkin

There's a company called Dover House (I think) that publishes books of HO scale cut out cardboard buildings in a wide variety of types, even some castles, I've seen pictures in Model Railroader of an N guage layout with some of these same buildings on it, I think the builder must have copied them on a color coppier set to shrink them down to the propper size. These are listed in the Walther's catalog.  P.M.

Rich R

Quote from: r.cprmier on July 05, 2007, 07:45:56 AM
Another really neat thing to do is to take the actual parts that comprise walls, roof, etc, and photocopy them.  THis works especially well with DPM modular parts.  I believe the late Art Curren did indeed mention that proceedure in one of his books.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I just checked DPM's web site as they used to offer those templates for free. At least in 1/48th any way. Now I see they are charging for them. Times change and while the templates didn't have the brick detail they were great to help you size things or make mock ups before investing in the actual product parts.
I think I saved a set of the old download sections on a extrernal HHD some where. I'll have to have a look see.

Wonder why the stopped offering them for free? <grin>

Cheers,
Rich R

Paul M.

I got the templates for free about 2 months ago in HO scale. Have they changed it that recently?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

brad

One word of advice is to seal the cardboard with either paint, glue, shellac or what have you. I used cardboard found in gasket sets to separate the head gaskets in the package which is the same as used in cereal boxes. After about 2 weeks all the roofs I used it for warped and I had to redo them.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

r.cprmier

Brad;
non-ply cardboard has no self-supporting strength which is why I recommend the product I do.  Strathmore is ply-ed, and you can get that either both sides or just one. 

Strathmore is a board much used by people in the arts and postermakers (same difference??) because of its versatility, stabliity and strigth. 

As was mentioned earlier, do give the product a coat of sealant, such as shellac, or clearcoat varnish (the latter being better) or even paint.  If you use paint, make sure it isn't flat; but rather some semi-gloss, etc.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!