News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie 2-8-0

Started by trainman2, July 23, 2011, 02:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman2

I just received my new loco - purchased form a out of town company. I do not have a power source to test, so I placed it on  a short track for display. I was able to push it and the drive wheels turned. Do I have a problem?
Thanks.
Ed

tac

Some folks have all the luck....I can't do that with mine.

Mind you, mine is around 8-9 years old....maybe the new ones have a free-wheel set-up, but somehow I doubt it.

Sounds futzed to me.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Loco Bill Canelos

Then wheels should not Turn!!  You likely have a stripped or broken gear.  If it is new return it to the dealer for a replacement. Ask them to pay return shipping.

Good luck,
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

glennk28

Somewhere in this forum there is alos info on  the motor mounting screrws that loosen--but first make sure you have a running loco.

As  far as I know, only the K-27's would free-wheel--interestiong  to see ther lights come on when you push it-- (mine are first-runs)

Loco Bill Canelos

Trainman,

here are the instructions for tightening the gearbox, if that is the problem.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,3256.0.html
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

trainman2

I spoke with Joe at Bachmann customer service today and he said I should send in the loco for repair or replacement. It is now at UPS and should arrive Philly this Wednesday. Thank you for your ideas and assistance. Unfortunately I did not check this board before shipping - maybe I could have fixed it myself. I do like to tinker!

Barry BBT

Trainman,

Not a typical do-it-yourself repair,  if it is the gear, which is most likely.

I have repaired the gear with brass tubing slices and JB Weld epoxy, not everyone can.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

trainman2

My Connie just arrived, back from Bachmann's repair shop! The drive gear was replaced under Bachmann's excellent warranty - it took less than 2 weeks from the time I shipped it out! Thanks to you, Mr. Bach-man!!
This is one of the many reasons I love my several Spectrum locos - G and HO scales.

Don Gilham

I have had the same problem, the motion ran without power (having just got it out of the box).  When power was applied to the motor, the motor ran freely and the motion didn't.  I took off the gearbox cap, and found that the nylon gear on the axle appeared to have a crack on the shaft ?

EDIT : Just been in touch with the retailer who's contacting Bachmann Eurpoe - hopefully they can fix it :)