News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nickel Plate Road

Started by sour rails, July 03, 2007, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Ellmore;
I was always under the impression that the L&N and Monon became a part of the N&W; at least that is what I thought I read in MRC many years ago, in an article by Jim Boyd (1968).

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Elmore Yard

Rich

The L&N meged with the Monon in 1971.  The L&N wihich was taken over by the Seaboard System in 1982 and became CSX in 1986 according to the the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Historical Society webpage.

TM

r.cprmier

I went back into my archives (yep...I have EVERY issue from then til now...) and realized that I was in error.  Jim Boyd did an article on the Monon in 68, and in process, did mention something about the L&N within it.
Essaentially, what Mr. Boyd was talking about was the rebuilding of the MOnon, from a road ready for the scrap heap, to a really viable top-flight road.  I guess the throng of "Nickel Plate and Wabash" was still ringing in my ears...
...OK, off to trainworld...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

nickelanddime

After I joined an HO club last August I had to decide what railroad I wanted to purchase. I choose NKP because its engine roster is small and wouldn't put me in the poor house. I currently have 2 berks, 1 heavy mike, 1 2-6-6-2 which I just bought,2 GP-7s, a C420 on order and an Erie trainmater in the Erie paint scheme that NKP leased. I'm considering buying 2GP-30s. That will leave only a mountain that I won't that NKP had on its roster. I know NKP had a lot of smaller steamers,but I'm not interested in them. At first I purchased a lot of NKP rolling stock but now have spread out and added other roads. Another reason I choose NKP is that nobody in the club operates this railroad. Most of the members are into PRR, Reading, Western Maryland, New Haven, CNJ, and other eastern railroads altough a couple run western roads like Santa Fe and Union Pacific.