News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another HEISLER question

Started by Stevelewis, February 23, 2013, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevelewis

The Heisler comes with an alternative OIL  TANK  would this early Heisler ever have been converted to use oil instead of coal?

Which of the 3 supplied smoke stacks is correct for Oil firing? ( straight, Onion or Diamond)

Incidentally no wood fuel load is supplied with the loco.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

max (uk)

Maybe, depending on how long it lasted in traffic.

The Straight stack is most likely if the engine was built for oil firing, but if it was converted to oil I would say it could still use what ever stack it was built with. As with most On30 items, personal preference is the most important.

Does the oil load look the same as on the shay and climax or something different? Pictures would be helpful.  ;)

I'm surprised it doesn't come with a wood fuel load.

Stevelewis

Hi Max  send me an email add & I'll send some pics  I will be putting some pics on www.rmweb.co.uk later  (in the  USA/Canada section)

Tried unsuccsefully on here!!

max (uk)

I found your thread on RMweb (also added you as a friend) I'll be watching if you put up any more pictures.

I am currently debating with myself if I should get one. Since I already have too many engines and the Heisler is quite expensive.

Stevelewis

I believe  stocks   are not  too high!!

All black  already  sold  out, (Tower-Models)

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Stevelewis on February 24, 2013, 09:02:51 AM
Hi Max  send me an email add & I'll send some pics  I will be putting some pics on www.rmweb.co.uk later  (in the  USA/Canada section)

I couldnt do it too. Someone told me "start a photobucket account and link to it. it will work." and it did!
(Your link gets me to the home site but not your photos)

Stevelewis

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on February 24, 2013, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: Stevelewis on February 24, 2013, 09:02:51 AM
Hi Max  send me an email add & I'll send some pics  I will be putting some pics on www.rmweb.co.uk later  (in the  USA/Canada section)

I couldnt do it too. Someone told me "start a photobucket account and link to it. it will work." and it did!
(Your link gets me to the home site but not your photos)
I ahve just  tried RMweb and I got there ok
If you go on to  www.rmweb.co.uk  then down to MODELLING ZONE  then Continental/Overseas section then USA/Canadian my thread is around 5 down after the pinned ones  Steve

GG1onFordsDTandI

Found it, then tried to copy & link but ended up at your posts instead. :-[. Photobucket works flawlessly for me so far.(free too).
Anyhow...found it. Nice, sooo ugly it is beautiful. My kinda stuff. Yes, I am definitely jealous.

Royce Wilson

Can someone in the UK be so kind as to post the Heisler running on Youtude so we can dream?

Royce

Sherwood

Has anyone had one long enough / looked hard enough to see if it appears to have the same gear design problems as the other geared locos, etc? Its cool, but  I don't want to buy another shelf queen...

Stevelewis

I think I mentioned  in the other  thread  the  loco  is set up as follows

cardan shafts from the motor  take  the  drive  to the outer axle of   each bogie, there is only one gear box per bogie, the drive  gear on the axle  is I believe larger in diameter  than those on Shay & Climax at  around 2/3  the diameter of the actual loco driving wheels,  the drive to the other axle in each bogie is transferred by the side rods.

Personally over many years of using Bachmann 0n30 locos I have only had one loco which had  gear problems that was a Shay which was delivered to me in its sealed carton but with one gear actually of its  shaft  and another gear split, this problem however was thought to have been caused by the loco having been damaged in transit by poor handling

railtwister

Hi Steve,

Someone posted copies of the parts drawings included with the new Heislers elsewhere on the web, and those drawings indicate that the enclosed gearboxes on the outer axles contain straight-cut beveled pinion/crown gears.

Other posters have stated the Heisler's universals appear to be larger than the ones on the Climax, and possibly made of metal, as well. 

Thanks for your help!
Bill in FtL

GG1onFordsDTandI

Mechanically, and visually, I find these engines facinating. The fact that that we have loco's with working gearsets similar to the prototypes, almost astounding. After finding all this out, I see the higher cost justification on these steamers, and am now eager to start a narrow gauge line ;D, to serve my Og lines  :D ::). Maybe a Lombard log hauler kit bash too! (FYI - Think vert. pistoned, geared loco, meets a snowmobile and a tank, the first sucessful "endless track" vehicle)