News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann G gauge track

Started by sonsteve, July 30, 2011, 09:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonsteve

Does anyone know why Bachmann doesn't make more sizes and curve radii in G scale than they do and/or how do you make your own if your layout requires a shorter straight or curve?

Sleeping Bear

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14813.0.html     Here is a link to a discussion that was had on a similar topic. You could also search for the word track on this board, just limit your search to large scale.        Hope this helps........S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

sonsteve

Thanks S.B., that led me into some good discussion. Apparently Bachmann is letting others take over the track turf--that's ok with me. But since I own so much of their existing stock, I guess I could use some specific advice on how to properly modify some of their existing track (i.E. shortening a straight section). I hack sawed several using microblades but despite my best filing technique, they all come out to rough and distorted (not able to keep the blade in place). Any thoughts?

Sleeping Bear

My only thought at this point would be either a razor saw and a light touch or a Dremel w/ a cut off wheel and again, a light touch as well as a steady, slow hand. I have seen track snips, but being hollow rail, distortion would still come through.  I haven't really played with it much but one would think that if you could get the rail joiner out of a piece of track (or just use another piece of track) you could use it s a sort of anvil to re shape the distorted rail a little.  As I sit here thinking , It keeps coming to me that if you think your touch is light enough and your hand slow enough, you still need to let up quite a bit. As for the blade not staying.... crazy glue would be the cheapest way I can think of.   Hope this helps.........Later All.......S.B.

sonsteve

My thanks again--hadn't thought of the Dremel--will give it a shot. Anyway, grateful for the input and interest. Be well! Rail forever!! ;-)

Sleeping Bear

O.K.    so I was thinking about this situation and thought....I've got a Dremel w/ cut off wheel and a piece of Bachmann track that I cut off to make a display track for a commemorative car I built. Lets see the difference between the Dremel and the hacksaw I used the first time.....Dremel IS the way to go. Keep your RPM up, your pressure light and your hand slow. For the very little clean up of the edges, I used an ignition file(pretty fine teeth).  Just keep your cut square and your fingers clear.    Later All....S.B.

on30gn15

Quote from: Sleeping Bear on August 01, 2011, 01:09:33 PMkeep your cut square and your fingers clear.
That is a quotable quote!

Think that will become a sig line here in a few moments on The Rocketry Forum  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

sonsteve

Again many thanks!!
Rails forever!! ;-)