News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help on new model

Started by kaustav, July 03, 2007, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaustav

Hi All,

I need help with something. I have bought a new Bachmann Empire Builder set that comes with the awesome 4-8-4 Northern loco. Everything is fine, but the guide wheels of my loco is getting derailed very often. The train is able to run in that condition though, but you can understand. Can anybody tell me please what adjustment could improve the performance?

Also, since this is my first electric train set, I would like to know more about the maintenance part as well.

Thanks a lot and have a good day.

Bojangle

Check the HO section for a thread titled "2-8-0 Pilot Derailing"...Lots of information there. The set should have come with a video detailing basic maintenance.

Your set is N Scale, but the comments should apply as well
Bo

SteamGene

Check to see how tight the screw holding the pony truck to the frame is.  Might need to be loosened just a tad.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

What's the radius on your layout?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

kaustav

Thank you very much, all of you. Surely I'll check the HO Section to find an answer. I checked the screw and it seemed to me that it's OK, but still I had loosened it a little bit, but the problem still persists. As far as I have observed, it seems to me that  it's getting derailed not because it's too tight, rather because it's too flexible.

Right now the max radius of my track is the originally supplied 11.25" curves. I have ordered a few flex tracks to make more wider curves.

Anyway, thanks again. Paul, according to you what is the minimum radius I should use for this loco? It's a typical 4-8-4 northern with around 5" of length.

Paul M.

I'd automatically assumed you had the HO scale Empire Builder, but it turns out you have the N scale set!. I thought there was only an HO scale set, but there's actually an N scale set too, and you have that one.

Don't post your question on the HO board, do it on the N scale board instead.

I don't know much about N scale, because I'm an HO scaler, but if you ask it in the N sale section you'll get more replies, and people who know what to do.

Hope this helped,
Paul.

-Paul
[

Guilford Guy

Unless I'm missing something Paul this is in General Disc...
Alex

Paul M.

But it's an N scale set they had.

Note:

11.25 " radius curves

5 inch long 4-8-4.

When does that happen in HO?

When they posted it, they weren't sure what scale it was, so they posted it under General.

-Paul
[

scottychaos

The problem is most likely the track, not the engine..

too tight
bad joints
dips
humps
something..I dont know what because I havent seen your track.
but I bet you the problem totally lies with the track..

Scot

kaustav

Thanks very much Scott. I have also come to the same conclusion. I did some work on the track and now it's a little better. But I think I need to do some more work before it's completely eradicated.

@Paul:

Thanks for the guidance Paul... Actually I'm aware that my train is N scale and this is a General Discussion Forum. But I apologize for not mentioning it in my first post. I'm new to the forum and didn't notice that there is an N scale forum as well, that's why I posted it here. Anyways, thanks for all your help. I'll move to N scale forum.