News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Co-mingleing track

Started by chenson11, July 26, 2011, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chenson11

Like all the rest I'm sure, We all have hundreds of pieces of track from different manufactures.  Will the track types work together? For example Atlas snap track and Bachman N S E Z track? I tried to use the steel, NS and brass together and you know how good that turned out. Just wondering I'm trying to make do until I get all of one track.

ACY

Put cork roadbed under non-roadbed track to raise it to the height of the roadbed track like Bachmann E-Z track, Life-Like Power-Loc track, Atlas True-Track, Kato Uni-track etc.. You may have to cut off the connecters (not the rail joiners) to join them together though, making the track less useful if you decide to use it in the end because then there won't be anything to hold the roadbed together with another section of track.

Country Joe

You can mix track from different manufacturers, but keep in mind that most N scale track is code 80. Atlas true track is code 65 and Atlas and Micro Engineering also have code 55. I think EZ track will connect to plain code 80 track with no problem. By plain, I mean track that doesn't come with roadbed attached. I don't think you have to cut the connectors off. You just need to use cork or foam roadbed under the track to bring it up to the height of EZ track. Kato Unitrack can be used in one of two ways. Kato makes a track section with a Unijoiner on one end and an ordinary joiner on the other. Or, you can remove the Unijoiner and replace it with an ordinary joiner. Again, any code 80 track without roadbed will mate up, and no damage is done to the Unitrack. Pull of the ordinary joiner and put the Unijoiner back on and the track is as good as new.

Connecting roadbed track to roadbed track is not as easy, such as EZ Track to Unitrack, but you can use a piece of non roadbed track between them with no problems. You can even use the code 65 or 55 track, but it takes a little more modification to get it to work.

Albert in N

As far as I know, all N scale track has nickel silver rails.  At least, Bachmann N scale E-Z track, Atlas, and Kato UniTrack do.  HO has mixed rails like brass, steel alloy, and nickel silver depending on age and manufacturer.  N scale is almost half the size of HO.