Your thoughts about current chassis 5 Big Hauler vs. 2011's version 6 chassis?

Started by N.H.&I.railfan, July 26, 2011, 10:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.H.&I.railfan

Forum readers - which is a better choice? Should I wait to order a 2011 Big Hauler with the new version 6 chassis locomotive that will have all metal gears or go with the current sets offering the time tested version 5 chassis? I know none of you know the future for a new untested version but in general would all metal gears be an improvement to the current version's gears? What are the advantages of all metal gears?  More durable, longer lasting, less maintenance, greater reliability and a more trouble-free, quieter, smoother running locomotive at all speeds with greater pulling power? If quality and robustness of the locomotive rather than time is my main consideration, do you feel the change to metal gears in the newest version is a significant enough improvement over currenrt versions to make it worth waiting for the 2011 sets? Thanks in advance to all forum members for your valued input and opinions.

on30gn15

One question is will someone say, "Oh, metal gears, it can pull a bunch more!" and thereby overstress the siderods and crank pins which drive the un-geared axles?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

If you want to start having fun now I would not hesitate to recommend that you go out and buy an Annie with the version 5 chassis right now.

Why?  Because the Bachmann Version 5 Chassis has been out and running since 2000.   11 years is a great track record for a great locomotive that is very reasonable in cost.  The Version 5 chassis has proven to be a quiet, smooth trouble free locomotive when properly lubed and cared for.  Some would say it is great for people who don't take care of their locomotives.   My original Annie with the Ver 5 chassis is still my favorite and sees regular service on my Missouri Western Railway equipped with Sierra sound and Revolution RC.   I have four Annies and none of the four has ever had any kind of problem whatsoever!!!  This fact is unbelievable even to me, but true.  I pull five passenger cars routinely, and ten plus a caboose on freights.

As for the Version 6 chassis, well,  we don't really know how it will perform, or if it will really be better.  There is the possibility that it could be a dud, or have some problems that show up after a year or two in production.  Only time will tell.  Hopefully it will eventually be proven to be better that the version 5.   Until then, don't put off your fun. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

I didn't get the impression that it was ALL metal gears.  Just like my gear boxes, I follow the axiom that the driving gear must be stronger than the driven gear.  In my case that means no gear failures in 12 years.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, Yardmaster,

Can you send me a version 6 for testing? 8)

Also will the version 6 Chassis be incorporated into the train sets made for 2012 and later, much like was done with the version5 chassis??

I will buy a version 6 when they come out.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!