News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What's an Annie?

Started by N.H.&I.railfan, July 26, 2011, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.H.&I.railfan

Being somewhat versed in all scales except G and Z (I'm a newbie of G having only I set I'd purchased many years ago and only took out for a few Christmases when my niece was small) I now have the time to also get involved with G sets. Many forum members routinely refer to Annies. What exactly is an Annie loco and how does it differ from the standard Big Hauler loco? Are they high end Big Hauler locos? Which currently available Bachman sets include an Annie chassis 5 version loco? Thanks for helping bring me up to speed on Bachmann's Annies.

NarrowMinded

An Annie is short for Anniversary Edition, the big difference is metal Rods and valve gear, that and a ton of other added metal details.

NM-Jeff

P.S. Loco Bill will likely have the answers for what sets they came in.

Loco Bill Canelos

All Bachmann 4-6-0 Big Hauler Locomotives made since 2000 have the version 5 chassis, and all Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 Locomotives have the version 5 Chassis.   Also all sets made from 2000 on have it as well.  If buying a set get one that is in the current catalog to be sure you are getting the latest version 5 chassis.  Annies are high end Big haulers with metal siderods, Metal handrails and piping and metal detail parts as oppose d to the plastic parts on the Big hauler version.

here is the Chassis identification guide Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotives.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                                
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                              
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                              
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                              
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                              
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                              
Version 6  2011-           New Chassis for Annie only, has metal gears otherwise is same as Version 5                              
Note that the dates overlap and as of Nov 1, 2008 have not been fixed more precisely, but I believe all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                              
The following sets released in late 1999 were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.                              

Hope this is helpful.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Bill,

I would like to add that the Annie has much better detail cast into the boiler, larger cylinders, smaller rivets, and of course more.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Kevin Strong

And a red dress and a dog named "Sandy."

Oh, wait....

Sorry. Wrong Annie.

Later,

K

gunrunner

hey, kev
you're thinking of "devil with the blue dress"

scottychaos

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on July 26, 2011, 10:35:04 PM
All Bachmann 4-6-0 Big Hauler Locomotives made since 2000 have the version 5 chassis, and all Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 Locomotives have the version 5 Chassis.   Also all sets made from 2000 on have it as well.  If buying a set get one that is in the current catalog to be sure you are getting the latest version 5 chassis.  Annies are high end Big haulers with metal siderods, Metal handrails and piping and metal detail parts as oppose d to the plastic parts on the Big hauler version.

" Also all sets made from 2000 on have it as well."

Bill, are you sure that is true?
I think there were many sets made after 2000 that had the latest "non annie" version in them..
Christmas sets especially..

I recall several conversations over the past few years about Sam's clubs and Costco Christmas sets that did *not* have Annies in them..then it was a big deal around 2007 or 2008 when a Christmas set came out *with* an Annie in it..so im pretty sure that "Also all sets made from 2000 on have it as well." is not correct..
there were non-annies being made up to 2007 at least..

in fact, I think non-annie sets are *still* being made even now..
check Bachmann's own page:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=75

there are clearly some non-annies in there..

Scot

Sleeping Bear

I think that Bill was referring to the version 5 chassis being in all sets after 2000, not the Annie.   The Annie has the version 5 chassis as do all Big Haulers since 2000.   Is this what you were referring to Bill ??    Hope this helps clear up the confusion......Later All.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

NarrowMinded

The first time I read it I thought he had mis-stated that the annie was in all the sets, but after reading it again, I see He is stating that the version 5 chassie is in all the 4-6-0 locomotives, Big Hauler and Anniversary edition.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

SB Jeff Scot  Yes I was referring to the version 5 chassis, and yes version 5 chassis are in all Big Haulers 4-6-0's since 2000.
The Annie did come out then and all annies are equipped with the version 5 chassis, at least till the new version 6 comes out.

All sets from 2000 on have Big Haulers with version 5 chassis EXCEPT for the following which have annies:

90047*   NP&S   Wonderland Flyer    2004   Ltd Run   Mixed   1225   Annie   Green Gon with Xmas gifts    NP&S Box 30647   Combine NP&S 1  Walshearts Valve gear

90047B   NP&S   Wonderland Flyer    2006   Ltd Run   Mixed   1225   Annie   Green Gon with Xmas gifts    NP&S Box 30647   Combine NP&S 1 Stephenson Valve gear Special run for Boscov's later  added to Bachmann Catalog in 2007

90051   NP&S   North Star Express   2005   Ltd Run   Pass   205   Annie   Combine # 8   Coach no #   8 Wheel Caboose no #    Has Annie wood burner

90054   NP&S   Holiday Special (Train & Trolley Set)   2006   Ltd Run   Pass   12   Annie   Coach NP&S no number   Observation NP&S no #   Trolley "Seasons Greetings" no #  Coal burner

90059   WP&Y   White Pass & Yukon   2007   2011+   Pass   14   Annie   Coach #214 Lake Spirit   Observation #240 Lake Bennett   Only non christmas set with an annie

There is also the Frontgate Set with an Annie made for them by Bachmann with North Pole lettering, but no Bachamn number.

Did I get them all??

I am always open to questions and corrections and suggestions and new info.

Many of you out there  have helped me make the database as correct as possible, I suspect there will be errors from time to time, but I will quickly make any verified corrections as soon as they are discovered.

Didn't mean to cause confusion on the Version 5 info. 

NarrowMinded

Thanks Bill,

Your a Great source of Info, the list you just posted with the "annie" sets will help me when going through ads and auctions, I hate to say it but I think I just missed a great deal on an Annie if it came in the white pass and yukon set,  I'm waste high in big haulers at the moment so I didn't bother to look more closely.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

Careful Jeff, There were two WP&Y Sets, Only 90059 has the Annie.  The other set is 90095 The Northern Express The loco in it had the version 2 or version 3 Chassis.  They were not very good compared to the later chassis.

NarrowMinded

Thanks Bill,
I always pull them out of the box before I buy, but I had just walked by this last one with out looking into the box at all.

Jeff

Jon D. Miller

Here is a link that lists the differences between the standard Big Hauler and the Anniversary edition.  The article may provide some more information on the differences between the two versions of the 4-6-0.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I have a sealed-in-box 90054 Annie Passenger - Trolley set.   

More info, click on my name and send a personal message.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.