MRC Sheer Brilliance in a Bachmann On30 2-8-0

Started by Cookie, July 03, 2007, 07:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie

Anybody had any experience with the MRC 1639 Sound decoder?  It is a plug in sound decoder, but it has one pin marked "1" on the top of the plug and another marked "1" on the bottom.  Can anybody tell me how to positively identify either pin 1 or pin 8 on this decoder?  I would like to try it on my 2-8-0 but I am afraid I'll fry something if I can't figure out whcih pin is the "real'' pin 1.
Curt

smokinporter

Hi  Curt
I believe pin one has a orange wire hooked to pin one on the NMRA Medium socket connector. Pin one is sometimes indicated with a 1, dot, or a triangle symbol. Hope this helps. If you need help, Call
See Ya
Wes Wilson, ;) aka smokinporter

Cookie

Hey Wes,

I got your phone message.  What the heck was I thinkin?  Here I am asking questions on a web forum when I have an expert in my back yard!  I'll call when I have everything together.  I have to pick up a couple of resistors before I try to install this decoder.  I may also have to get new glasses so I can see some of the parts and wires!

Thanks again,

Curt
Curt

hminky

The only thing that plugging the decoder in with the wrong pin in 1&8 is the direction will be wrong and the front and rear lights will light at the wrong time. It is idiot proof.

Harold

Cookie

Harold,

Thanks for your reply.  I have toured many of your web pages in the past so I know you are a "doer" with some genuine expertise and you have my respect.  Perhaps you can answer my next question regarding this decoder installation.  Please keep in mind that this "idiot" has a little back cloud continually hovering over his head!

The decoder intall manual indicates that the lighting output voltage is "track voltage" and that I need to put a 1K ohm resistor in series with the LEDs.  In the Bachmann 2-8-0 the rear leads are a "no brainier"  However, the headlight leads are a question for the "idiot".  Are they they the two wires with the small connectors between the tender and the loco?  Or are they somewhere else?  Do I need to put a separate resistor in for each led or are they wired in series? 
Curt

hminky

I don't know anything about the MRC. I only used the Soundtraxx Tsunami and I just plugged it in and everything worked fine.

Harold

David(UK)

Curt,
The 2 wire  connecter on the 2-8-0 are the pick-up feeds from the loco drivers to the the decoder.
I haven't got the loco to hand, but you'll be able to backtrack the headlamp feeders by unclipping the firebox cover and finding the 2 leads on the separated connectors ( towards the front of the loco under plastic caps ).
If you've got a meter, just pull the caps off and the wires will fall away ( they're not soldered, so make sure you mark which goes where - just in case!) Now meter between the board and the pins on the larger connecter.
regards
David(UK)

Quote from: Cookie on July 06, 2007, 12:09:56 PM
Harold,

Thanks for your reply.  I have toured many of your web pages in the past so I know you are a "doer" with some genuine expertise and you have my respect.  Perhaps you can answer my next question regarding this decoder installation.  Please keep in mind that this "idiot" has a little back cloud continually hovering over his head!

The decoder intall manual indicates that the lighting output voltage is "track voltage" and that I need to put a 1K ohm resistor in series with the LEDs.  In the Bachmann 2-8-0 the rear leads are a "no brainier"  However, the headlight leads are a question for the "idiot".  Are they they the two wires with the small connectors between the tender and the loco?  Or are they somewhere else?  Do I need to put a separate resistor in for each led or are they wired in series? 
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

Bojangle

hminky:
When you added the sound card, did the sound come from the loco, or the tender?
Reason I asked, I bought an HO with sound, and the sound came from the back of the tender.  I hated it, and sent it back.

Since I am ordering the 2-8-0, I would later like to add sound.  You mentioned the Soundtraxx as being plug and play, that's what I want.  I will be getting in touch with you hopefully for some help with it.  Where did you get the Soundtraxx?

By the way, I have a DCC controller, but only run DC at the present time.  I just want a couple of sounds for now.
Bo

Hunt

Quote from: Bojangle on July 13, 2007, 12:35:14 AM
hminky:
When you added the sound card, did the sound come from the loco, or the tender?
Reason I asked, I bought an HO with sound, and the sound came from the back of the tender.  I hated it, and sent it back.

Since I am ordering the 2-8-0, I would later like to add sound.  You mentioned the Soundtraxx as being plug and play, that's what I want.  I will be getting in touch with you hopefully for some help with it.  Where did you get the Soundtraxx?

By the way, I have a DCC controller, but only run DC at the present time.  I just want a couple of sounds for now.
Bo

Bo,
While you are waiting on reply from Harold Minkwitz use the time to review his posted information in http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/

Note where the speakers are located.  ;)

You need a DCC command station capable of programming CVs in order to utilize the full capabilities of the SoundTraxx Tsunami sound decoder

Bojangle

Later I intend to obtain a "DCC command station capable of programming CVs in order to utilize the full capabilities of the SoundTraxx Tsunami sound decoder"

But that is a long range goal, for now I just want to get rid of this one and try something else.
Bo

Cookie

Thanks to a new friend who recently helped me install a decoder in a Bachman On30 Climax, I finally got up enough nerve to attempt an install on my own.  This past Saturday I installed an MRC Sheer Brilliance decoder in a Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation.  I used MRC Model 1639 which might have fit in an N scale loco.  However, I replaced the factory speaker with a larger one from Radio Shack which I had to modify slightly to fit in the tender.  I also had to put voltage dropping resistors in the light circuits.  I was pleased when everything worked the first time, and I think the sound is awsome.  It's not quite as good as a Tsunami, but at 2/3 the price it is very good sound.  My next project is to install a sound decoder in my On30 Shay.  Thanks to all of you for your input and feed back and a special thanks to "Smokin Porter" for your help!
Curt