News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How many locos ... ?

Started by czechwizard, November 12, 2011, 01:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

How many DC HO locos will a standard DC starter set power pack run ? Any experience ? Like 2-3 or more ? Any damage can occur to the motors depending on the number of engines run at the same time ? I think my DCC Bachmann EZ track turnouts and crossovers and remote #6 turnouts, in this to-be DC case all operated only manually, not to screw thngs up, are electrically insulated, no polarity or short issue, right ? 

jonathan

Czech,

I have triple-headed three large locos (DC/no sound) on one 'standard' DC power pack.  Three seems to be no problem: no overheating et al.  Of course, at full throttle the locos are not moving very fast.  I haven't tried four, but my guess is there wouldn't be enough oomph left in the pack to keep the locos moving smoothly.

I think, once-upon-a-time, I posted a video, running two Mountains and a Berkshire all on one train.

Type of pack may affect performance.  I have done the triple-head trick with one of those Spectrum train set power packs (out of production?) and with an MRC pack (14v).

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

it would depend on what types of locomotives you are running, and the pack's rating. some of the older locomotives, like athearn, can draw an amp or more of power. most newer locomotoves draw a fraction of an amp, so you'd be able to run more of them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

czechwizard

Great, guys, exactly what I thought. I just ordered a deeply discounted DC Piko ICE 3 train set. So what I plan to do is either run my layout on DC, only DC locos, all my new Bachmann DCC locos wouldn't heat up, right ? or run it on Dynamis, only DCC locos. The point is just separately switching between a DC power pack and DCC Dynamis. I want to see different locos running because I have 6 mainlines. I'm so excited about trying DC, as there are some great deals on European stuff, down here in Nicaragua they don't even know what a train is, I miss trains, man.