News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum HO Motors

Started by andylvtrains, November 11, 2011, 08:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

I have a SD45 and a Dash 8 40CW spectrum locomotives.  Compared to some of my other diesels from Atlas or Athearn the seem to start moving after 6V in DC (with decoder removed) and half a way on the throttle in DCC (with both Bachmann and digitrax or QSI decoders before changing any decoder configuration - out of the box).  I know that you can tinker with the DCC speed and change the "feeling" on the throttle (change the speed curve).  But I am just curious if anybody else has noticed the same.

Related to the above, I also have a Spectrum Class J that start moving only around 7-8 volts, and only after lubricating anything part that moves.  Have I been unlucky, or the motors are a little underpowered? 

Doneldon

andy-

You can program your decoder so the first step starts the motion. That doesn't mean the loco will start at a lower voltage, just that the decoder will give it the necessary juice to begin moving at step one. Be aware that programmed inertia or momentum can affect how the loco starts, stops, accelerates and decelerate, frustrating an operator who demands immediate throttle response.
                                                                                                     -- D

Jim Banner

Quote from: andylvtrains on November 11, 2011, 08:35:13 AM
... I also have a Spectrum Class J that start moving only around 7-8 volts, and only after lubricating anything part that moves... 

Was this fresh out of the box or after break in?

I am assuming you are using a meter to measure the voltage but what is your meter actually reading - average voltage, peak voltage or r.m.s. voltage?  These would all be the same if you were using pure, filtered dc but are all different if you are using a typical power pack.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.