News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 Decapod removed from catalog?

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, July 28, 2011, 12:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Heard from a friend that supposely Bachmann has removed the 2-10-0 Russian decapod from their catalog and even repairs are no longer going to be performed,you will get a engine of equal value as a replacement , can the Bachmann verify this....
Rocky Lives

ryeguyisme

well they might be dropping the decapod due to lack of sales, i picked up 2 with sound for 100 each which says alot

Santa Fe buff

Additionally, the Decapods seemed to be plagued with problems... My friend has gone through nearly two of them!

First, it had electronic/mechanical problems. (would simply not move sometimes) Got a new one... this time, his friend knocked it off the table an snapped the pilot.  :P

I'm sure if that bad reputation spread...

Bad Rep = No sales
No sales = No more product!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ryeguyisme

ive converted one to a 4-10-0 with custom varney driving rods, the chassis is bulletproof but the motor and its frame seems to be cursed with binding issues, I'm even thinking of going the route of putting a NWSL gearbox in it with a  powerful motor

RobBob

I've got one.  It runs great.  If you can find one, get one. This locomotive is very esoteric. Not applicable to many railroads because of it's unique Russian design. May become a collectors item in the future.

Happy Railroading!

GN.2-6-8-0

I have one and she runs just fine....If a little lightfooted  ;D
Will have to change the road number as Bachmann dropped the ball on that one....
Rocky Lives

Pacific Northern

The Bachmann 2011 catalogue has the 2-10-0 Russian available ONLY with DCC and Sound. They show no other versions available.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

Quote from: RobBob on July 29, 2011, 09:43:06 PM
This locomotive is very esoteric. Not applicable to many railroads because of it's unique Russian design.

RB-

No so esoteric. Decs were used by many railroads. The Pennsy had a mess of them and decapods were the basis for the Santa Fe loco. The AT&SF was using decapods as helpers on the big passes. They had no way to turn the locos on the top of the Cajon hill so they had to back them down to San Berdoo and Barstow. It turned out the locos had difficulty staying on the track when in reverse. Santa Fe put a pony truck on, making in effect a reverse pilot truck, and the eponymous 2-10-2 Santa Fe locomotive was born.

I'm very fond of locos with two-wheel pilot and trailing trucks so Santa Fes, and Mikes and Prairies, are quite populous in my power pools.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

jward

i don't think he was talking about decapods per se, but the russian ones. those were incredibly small for their wheel arrangement. they had about as much in common with a pennsy I1 decapod (which was a brute!) as they did a 4-4-0. but the russians existed in small numbers on many different railroads. i think it was a great choice for bachmann to make, and if i ran steam i'd have several by now.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

The Russian decs were indeed spread all over the country by the USRA.  With the Communist revolt in Russia, a couple hundred of these locos were stranded on the piers here.  Since the USRA controlled all the major US railroads at that time, the local management had little say in whether they wanted them or not.  Some who got them kept them; others sold them off as soon as they could.  Note too that these locos were originally built to 5 foot gauge for the Russian railroads.  To make them useful here at minimal cost, they were re-equipped with extra-wide tires to bring the gauge down to 4' 8 1/2".  The one at the Illinois Railroad Museum still has these wide tires, and they found out the hard way that it does NOT like self-guarding frogs at turnouts.

RAM

I do wish that Bachmann would do a better job on research.  The ATSF 2-8-0 number belongs to a 2-6-0.  the 2-10-0 2552 number is that of a 2-8-0.  It is interesting that all of Santa Fe 2-10-0s had 57 inch drivers.  They only had 3 new 2-10-0s.  One baldwin, and two Al co.  Built in 1902 and only lasted to 1938.    They got 8 when they acquired the Orient in 1929.  The 3 Russian 2554-2556 were gone be 1934.  The other five were nice looking locomotives.  They were basically a modernized and souped-up  Russian decapod.  They lasted to the end of steam 54 & 55.

ryeguyisme

i wonder what NWSL gearbox would be good for this locmotive if say a bigger boiler was placed on it

train guy

WHAT! I always eyeballed that product but it does not fit my curves.I might upgrade my curves but the 2-10-0 is being discontinued?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
I hope they keep it on the product line,I have no other 2-10-0 recourse.

Doneldon

TG-

Use the information: Buy now.

-- D

rogertra

I notice this hasn't been confirmed nor denied by the Bach-Man.