News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Uh oh - smokin' Connie....

Started by tac, July 28, 2011, 02:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

My pal Broos just called me up to tell me that his Fn3 Connie - hauling just three cars and a caboose - began some serious smoking.  Luckily he could turn it off instantly, and did so.

He's pretty much afraid to open it up and see what is wrong, but in view of the somewhat fragile nature of much of the wiring in there, what is likely to have gone FZZZZZZZZZZ?

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Tac,
Hard to say based on the info provided, what does he have in it?  Sound, R/c, Battery?  If it is stock it could be the noise suppression board on the motor, or the motor, or the smoke unit burning out, or the firebox flicker board, or the main board.  Did the smoke come from the tender?  The loco? Where on the loco?

There are really only two options, open it up and apply power and watch for smoke, check for shorted wires etc. then make repairs as necessary, or send it to Bachmann for repair.

Actually, you could ask Paul Norton and see what he thinks!!

Best of luck.   
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Mornin', Bill - thanks for the heads-up.  I'm going over in a few minutes to have a look-see, although based on my experience with my Heisler a few years back, it's going to be hell in there.

Paul is certainly the boy to see about it, but sadly he lives in Ontario, and Broos and I live in deepest East Anglia, on the far eastern side of England.

Bachmann over here have proven to be less than helpful, on the couple of occasions that I have had recourse to their 'assistance'.

We'll see.

Take care.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Loco Bill Canelos

Ouch, keep forgetting you are not in Crazy Old Canada!!

Best of Luck @ hope your friend Broos gets his Connie running again.

As always we will do our best to help in any way possible.

Cheers & Beers!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Thanks, Bill and all who have offered me advice off-forum - Mucho appreciated!

That's the thing about a forum like this one, there is always somebody - or a number of somebodies - who have been there and done that before you and are willing and able to offer good advice.

Thanks again to all!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Barry BBT

Am working on a customer's Connie with serious shorts, primarily the red wire from the four pin connector and plug.  The whole red line from the center pins needs to be replaced.  Fried! Haven't checked the boards yet.

The outside pins, one red and one black are untouched.  This was caused by a derailment of the loco and tender, which shorted out the loco.

Not a bad situation, but it could be.  The jumper wire from the board  to the motor is also fried.  Just the thought of soldering those tiny connector contacts is scary.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

tac

NarrowMinded

Hey Barry, I'm sure you have soldered a bunch of those little connectors by now. ;D

it's easy after the first couple ;)

NM-Jeff

Joe Satnik

Dear tac,

From the parts and services section:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/81294.pdf

Scroll to bottom page.

Enlarge for detail.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tac

Great help!  Many thanks, Joe!

Best wishes from over here

tac
www.ovgrs.org