News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

painting over a stain

Started by botangles, July 24, 2011, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

botangles

I recently purchased second hand a Bachmann White Pass G scale boxcar, green with yellow lettering. I knew when I bought it there was a large stain on the green part of the boxcar which reflected the price. Is there anyway to match the color from a Bachmann color chart ( if that even exists ) or is it just trying to match the best I can using Floquil paints for example? I don't want to repaint the entire car as a  close paint match would be okay. I'm fairly new at this and would like some ideas and suggestions. Thanks, Bill

NarrowMinded

Sense its a Box car and you don't want to repaint the entire car you could paint  the stain to look like a repair on a damaged box car, weather it and your done.

NM-Jeff

Sleeping Bear

I have had some luck with Krylon spry paint when it comes to matching Bachmann paint. N.M.'s idea of painting in a repair is also a way around or do a little "tagging" in that area or a little mural.  Have fun with it....Later all....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

glennk28

Weateer the rest of the car but leave thr patch freshly painted.

Loco Bill Canelos

If you have the time you could try matching the color using Scalecoat paints.   Painters use the "color wheel"
as a tool for mixing paint.

Here is a tutorial that has helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZWDEmLR90

You can also Google color wheel and find many other tips.

Good luck
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

One thing I forgot to mention here, but have mentioned before.

a lot of autobody suppliers can color match, mix, then put the paint in a spray can for you, because newer cars have a ton of plastic they have paints that work very well.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

When you say stain, Did it eat into the paint??  Ha ve you tried to remove it with goo Gone or other cleaning products??

botangles

It must have eaten into the paint, I tried to get it out but nothing worked. Appears like something spilled or splashed on the boxcar, some kind of petroleum product maybe. About 2" by 1" stain. I had some different greens kicking around and mixed and sprayed that area with a slow fade to the outside. The box car paint has a gloss like finish and the paint I put on had even more glare but the color was a very close match after a few hours of mixing and trial and error. Waited a couple of days then clear dullcoated the entire boxcar and you have to know where to look, even then hardly noticeable there was ever a stain. I'd say about 95% to 98% match. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. Bill

Loco Bill Canelos