News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Isolation

Started by jsdranger, August 12, 2011, 10:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsdranger

How do you go about creating a track isolation, or a loop back on to itself using atlas track  is it just a question of using plastic rail joiners? 

Example i am talking about -  I ant to use a wye turnout to make a loop to turn the train around.  my question here is where would the isolation take place.  at the part of the track where there is only once connection to the main line, or where the wye turnout has 2 connections.

Thanks in advance

ACY

You should isolate each route where it has "2 connections" with plastic rail joiners or by cutting the rail.

Jerrys HO

jsd,
  Is your layout going to be DC or DCC. It does not really matter you still have to isolate but if you are going DCC check into a auto-reverse module. I never ran DC so I could not say it will work for DC. I am sure others can chime in  on that.
Jerry

ACY

Automatic reversing modules are only compatible with DCC layouts.

jsdranger

yes, the layout is going to be DCC. 

I started with the DC and have found it to be very boring running 2 trains simultaneously.  they both run and stop at the same time, its just not fun.   i have some DCC trains now and find it much more enjoyable to run those independently of one another on the same track i once ran the DC trains.  Nope, i am not running DC and DCC trains at the same time.

Jerrys HO

Thanks ACY,
Was not sure and did not want to mislead.
Jerry

jward

correct me if i am wrong.....

the way you describe your reversing section, you enter one end through a wye and the other end lets out onto the main through a single switch?

if this is the case, you will actually need to insulate BOTH rails on the reversing track at 3 locations:

1. the end of the loop which exits through the single switch must be insulated on both rails before you get to the switch.
2. on the wye end, insulate both rails on the left leg, between the switch off the mainline and the wye switch.
3. on the right leg, insulate in the same place as you did on the left leg.

note: when you are done, the wye switch should be the only one in the insulated section.

and yes, using plastic joiners on both rails at these locations will be sufficient.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA