News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Securing EZtrack to base

Started by Morgun 30, August 12, 2011, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgun 30

Hello to the group. Newbie with a couple questions. I bought the Rail King set in December. I got bit by the model railroading bug and have purchased about a dozen more cars, tow more locos, 6 turn-outs and extra track. I plan on an 12-14ft by 8-9 ft L shape layout. I have a problem with the speed controller and may have to replace it.

Questions 1) If I do need to replace it, would I need something with more "power" to run the train and 6-8 turns-outs?

and 2) how to fasten ez track the plywood. What did you do?

Thanks, Morgun 30

Nathan Jahreis

Well, I started with my Dads OLD tyco set that his parents got him, and that came with a MRC gold pack (about 2 amps). I then was at a tractor show and saw an MRC tech 4 controller. Now at that point I only had a few tyco engines that where not so good so the tech 4 worked allot better than the other dinosaur. And now I have a troller 1001 that I like and it works well with my few atlas loco's.  I only have a 4x8 and I love it. What I recommend for you is get something big that you can build off of in the future. But if you are strapped for money, get something economical. Also make sure it has electrical provisions for your switch machines.  With e-z track I don't know because I used atlas track that I nailed down.  Good luck :)
Listen birds - These signs cost - Money - So roost a while - But don't get funny - Burma-Shave

Joe323

If you have the cash I would get an MRC power pack They set the standard in DC power packs. 

You can use nails to spike down EZ track.  Many people use adhesive caulk on regular track now sure about EZ track though.

Doneldon

Morgun-

Welcome to model railroading. I think you'll find it to be interesting and fun, with lots of new skills to learn. That's what I like most about it; there are so many aspects of the hobby that you can just do a different activity for a while when you get tired of the others.

You can use construction adhesive to hold down EZ Track. Lay everything out first so you're sure it will go together as planned. Make sure the adhesive you choose is plastic compatible. Some aren't and they can really make a mess of things. I've used Liquid Nails for Projects and find it does a good job. Many people don't glue turnouts down, preferring to let them "float." The advantages to that are that the turnout isn't fixed in any position which might cause binding and it's much easier to remove a turnout for repair or replacement if it isn't glued down. The adjacent track will hold it just fine.

Once again, welcome, and as the Bach-Man says, "Have fun!"
                                                                                              -- D

NarrowMinded

Using EZ track I would just spike it down, (for now) this will make it easier to change your track plan or add to it. and it is a good bet that you will want to especially sense you are just starting out, I would put money on it that no one in history has ever laid down track the first time and never decided to change something later.

NM-JEff

Doneldon

NM-

I, for one, wouldn't take that bet under any conditions. You are certainly right.

-- D

Jerrys HO

I for one started with a 4x8 sheet. After finding anyrail.com I have changed my layout 30 times since I started about a year ago. It now is a u-shaped 12x14x10.5 .
 I will take that bet also and raise you another 4x8.
Morgun,
 I found securing EZ track can be secured with just about any type of glue,nail or screw. I have a 2''foam base under mine mainly for scenery but I used it also for my grading. Using the cookie-cutter design I raised the track gradually with Woodland Scenics 3" and 4''grades under the foam and hot glued all my track excluding turnouts and power rails.
Jerry
P.S. My newest project is turning a heljan roundhouse into a bachman roundhouse for my turntable. Inspired by jward.

mabloodhound

Use an adhesive caulk.   Track will be removable and the caulk is fairly cheap and water cleanup (from your hands-yes, it will get on your hands ;D)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security