Williams 00247 electronic reverse unit

Started by K-Dog, July 19, 2011, 11:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Dog

I recently replaced a very noisy e-unit on my Lionel 2338 (vintage 1957) GP7 with a Williams 00247 electronic unit.  (Bridged the field winding with 4 1N5400 diodes to provide proper power flow through the field winding).  Performance is great, it's almost too quiet now, but I like it.  Would like to install a lockout switch to enable continuous direction running for MU lash ups.  Anyone know how this can be done?  Nothing in instructions from Williams on this.

K-Dog

Joe Satnik

Dear K-Dog,

Feed the armature winding (3,4) through a DPDT switch to choose between

(1,2) the electronic reverser board output or

(5,6) the +, - outputs of a diode bridge large enough to handle the stall current of your loco.  (Track power to ~ inputs) 

1 2
3 4   } Terminals on back of DPDT switch.
5 6

Mark the locos (subtly?)so you know which way they will go in lockout. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

K-Dog

Thanks for the tip Joe.  Might try that.  Being new to the forum, I did not at first see the FAQ section.  After posting my topic, I found a solution there as well.  Figure between the two methods, I'll get it solved.

K-Dog

Joe Satnik

Are all motor wires isolated from the frame?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

K-Dog

Joe - Yes, the armature and field are now isolated.  Previously one side of the field winding was tied to the frame ground.  I just had to clip that wire and connect it to one side of the bridge rectifier.   I also used a couple of 1N5400 diodes to provide directional head lights.

By the way, I added a Williams TrueBlast horn/bell module.  What a great "runner".

K-Dog