News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&O s-1 2-10-2 big six

Started by train guy, August 03, 2011, 05:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train guy

can a bachmann 2-10-2 be turned into a baltimore and ohio s-1a big six?

jonathan

Train Guy,

A man after my own heart!

I have seen a Rivarossi S-1 shell put onto an IHC mechanism.  Looks and runs great.  I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with a Bachmann mechanism.  Probably has been done, but I can't recall anyone I know personally.  

Believe me, it's on my 'to do' list.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  

I like turning Bachmann locos into B&O locos:

train guy

well i have a rivorrossi big six but and on you tube one guy bought a bachmann
2-10-2 and completely re did it into a S-1a http://www.youtube.com/user/dferg100?blend=2&ob=5#p/u/2/7unRcuVK2PY

ryeguyisme

yes it is very possible to kitbash any locomotive on any chassis, something I've got a knack for:

DM&IR 2-10-4 Boiler on a Bachmann 2-10-2 chassis(of course modified)

thought I'd share a few pics to give you some insight, brass isn't all much different from plastic aside from weight/quality/detail/substance, but it can be done the same way just take your time and measure out how you can do it and plan how you're going to do it

John Allen's #34 consisted of parts from five(if not more) locomotives for his magnificent brute of an engine(pulled 80+ cars on a club layout and counting)

so the bottom line is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

though just a hint of advice..... make sure you lubricate you locomotive every so often and give it 22 inch radius curves because none of the 2-10-2 are created equally in my experience, one of mine brand new can't take tight curves but the one slapped onto the 2-10-4 can(and it'll make 18 inch radius without hassle ;) )

skipgear

The Bachmann 2-10-2 would be better suited for an S, not an S1. The original S's had smaller drivers.

I'm in N scale and used a Kato Mikado to build my S1a. It takes a little more work to add a driver but it makes a better model than the the other options for a x-10-x chassis' that were available in N.

The USRA 2-10-2 is coming to N this fall so I plan on building an S out of one using most of the castings and design work that I had come up with for the S1a. Just won't have to work so hard on the driveline.

For HO the Eddystone conversion is the best solution. The Rivarossi boiler and Tender are modeled after an S1 so there is no real need to scratchbuild your own. The drivers on the IHC chassis are larger than the Bachmann and make more correct driveline.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ryeguyisme

skip I am curious as to how you made your castings, I've been toying with the thought of lost-wax castings for a bit now

skipgear

They are all resin castings. For the sand domes, I formed a master out of clay, then made a mold of that to cast them out of resin. The smoke box cover is a combination of a castings copied from different loco's assembled and then a new mold was made to cast it as one part and make it repeatable. Other details, including the cab, are castings made from molds of other locos.

The boiler is all brass tubing, sheet, PB wire and various photo etch details.
Tony Hines

ryeguyisme

ebtnut

Skip is on point - the old Rivarossi model (like most of thier models of that era) had way small drivers to compensate for the oversize European flanges.  The protoype S-1's had 64" drivers IIRC, and the IHC 2-10-2 is about correct to do the job mated to the Rivarossi boiler assembly.  I think even mating the Rivarossi to the Bachmann drive makes a credible Class S, though I think there are some detail differences that may or may not be critical. 

train guy

Well skip I'd love to do the BIG SIX FIX at Eddystone models but you have to have a rivorrossi chassi.And they do not mass produce them any more unfortunitly.

skipgear

They are out there.  Check train shows, swap meets, etc. A quick search of E-bay found:

2 complete Rivarossi/AHM B&O S1 2-10-2's for the boiler.
A half dozzen IHC 2-10-2's for the mechanism.
A Rivarossi B&O vanderbilt tender.

And

A WestSide Brass S1 starting at $300 which is probably cheaper than buying the components to make your own.

While looking at those, I thought about the Bachmann 2-10-4. I wonder what the driver size is on those? It may be a canidate for drive train also.
Tony Hines

train guy

Thanks SKIP! I'll look into that!

train guy

Thanks for looking all that stuff skip!

skipgear

Actually, my name is Tony. Not sure why I don't have a signature set up for this forum. The SkipGear came from an RC car company that I had/have by the same name. As in "Skip's racing Gear". Skip was a nick name I earned at the RC tracks.
Tony Hines