News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z command walkaround

Started by dfl, September 27, 2011, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

I am just starting to put a  train set together but do not understand all this dcc stuff. I have 2 dcc equiped locamotives. I am bidding on a ezcommand walkaround companion. what else do I nedd to get up and running???

dfl

ACY

I would suggest not bidding on a walk-around companion until you first on the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System, the companion alone is useless without the system.

richg

Quote from: dfl on September 27, 2011, 11:56:59 AM
I am just starting to put a  train set together but do not understand all this dcc stuff. I have 2 dcc equiped locamotives. I am bidding on a ezcommand walkaround companion. what else do I nedd to get up and running???

dfl

Below is a link to what Bachmann sells. A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=166

The cheap EZ Command is only a very basic starter if that is all you can afford. At least it is a start.

Please learn more about DCC as you might end up buying something you do not need or cannot use. A simple question here like the one you just posted will help but ask first before buying. If you are bidding on something, you do not have to post the ebay link in case someone wants to get it ahead of you. There are many snipers on ebay.

There is a lot of info on the bachmann site. Take time to look around.

Rich

richg

Below is a link for DCC Novices. Store the link in Favorites and do a lot of reading, note taking.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm

DC to DCC is a bigger step than many realize.

Rich

dfl

Big thanks to all who replied. I will definitly  do a lot more research. I was looking for a hobbie and who does;nt like trains. I;ll have to get a few books and visit some people in the know.l Thanks again. Great site you all have here. Be coming back a lot to pick a few brains. Best  to all.

dfl

richg

There are thousands of site on the Internet with all the info you need. When anyone post a link, store the link in Favorites and do a lot of reading.
I must have about four hundred links on different aspects of model railroading and prototype railroading.

Below are more links that might over whelm you if you try to take on too much at one time. Don't forget that link I sent you. Books are nice but not always necessary.

Look especially in Curriculum.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Wiring a layout. It can be simple with a small to medium layout depending on what you have for locos and accessories.
Bachmann has some good track and turnouts. Make sure you get the grey roadbed track and turnouts.

The below fellow has tons of info.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm

Some times you can print out a few pages to have at the layout but if you ever afford a tablet, that device you can put it right on the layout while working and have data right at hand. Even a laptop on a rolling stand will be handy.

Rich

train guy

Quote from: Hunt on September 27, 2011, 01:10:40 PM
The E-Z Command Walk-Around Companion is an add-on to the E-Z Command Control Center and will not work as a standalone. It plugs into an E-Z Command Control Center, Item No. 44902  

Suggest you first get a basic understanding of DCC, DCC equipment capability and use before you start buying any.  

I agree! But could you conect more than one
"dcc walk aroand to the expancion plugs for more operators?"

Doneldon

tg-

The walk around companion can be used only with the Bachmann EZCommand DCC system. You can connect up to three walkarounds; however, it is highly unlikely that you would ever want to do so. Absent the very expensive five amp booster, the EZCommand couldn't run enough trains to keep the main controller and three walkarounds busy. Plus, you don't need a controller for every train because one controller can run more than one train at a time. For the price of an EZCommand system, booster and three walkarounds you can purchase a high-end, wireless DCC system with full programming abilities and plenty of power for multiple trains.
                                   -- D