News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Locomotive Suggestions

Started by geoff, August 05, 2011, 04:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I have been in the hobby for many years and I have several groups of train buddies I hang out with and visit several on line blogs.

I would like to see Bachmann or anyone for that matter produce an HO Southern Pacific AC9 "Yellowstone" 2-8-8-4. It is a very unique looking locomotive and SP is a very popular road. I think it would sell in N scale also! There are few pictures of the Prototype available, so many may not even know what it looks like. Is is the only AC series that IS NOT a Cab Forward! It has a "skyline casing" running the length of the boiler like the GS4 and also has a front pilot similar to the GS4 with double air pumps up front!

I would also like to see a 2-6-2T or a 2-8-2T in HO and in On30! Great for small layouts and logging or mining operations.

Another suggestion would be a 2-4-4-2 "Little River" in both HO and On30! A small mallet that almost everyone could use.

That's wishful thinking?

train guy

Well bachmann is doing a baltimore and ohio yellow stone ,mabey you could modify it . What I would like to see bachmann come out with is a 2-10-2 Baltimore and Ohio big six !

ryeguyisme

well given bachmanns dive into the large steam category with the EM-1, if it proves successful and markets right, you may see some more larger engines in the near future, whatever idea they come up with that'll sell most.

Big boys and Challenger and that ilk have been way overdone so you can definitely say they're out of the picture. You might see a yellowstone as well some more non-USRA mikes and pacifics, maybe even a hudson.

a B&O 2-10-2 is unlikely as it's been done over in brass and in plastic

a growing trend in locomotive sales lately is what's been popular in brass is now going plastic/diecast, errr going the way of the diesel so to say(brass diesel don't hold value normally once a plastic model of the same engine comes out)

a good example is the southern pacific 4-8-2 MT class athearn released, before you could only buy in brass, now you're not subjected to doing so

rogertra

Small, small, small a thousand time small.  Suitable for the typical model railroad.

Why all this fuss of large engines when most of them look completely out of place on your typical model railroad?

jettrainfan

What ever happened to tank engines? need some of those!

2-6-2T, 4-6-4T, a good 0-4-0T... DCC for these would be great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ryeguyisme

a commuter engine would be just awesome like 4-6-4t or 4-6-6t they looked like baby hudsons

RAM

I would say a small 2-8-2.  With 54 inch drivers.

ebtbob

Good Afternoon all,

Since Bachmann has already done a Pennsy K4,  then let them beat everyone else to the market(save for brass and Bowser) and do a Pennsy mike,  L-1.  I would also love to see an N&W 4-8-0.  In the On30 market I would love to see a 2-6-2T or 2-8-2T.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Pacific Northern

I am looking forward to the new Bachmann 2-6-0. Although it is not a Spectrum the detail level can always be enhanced. I have no need of any large engine such as the EM1, the layout is simply too small for such a brute.

I would request a new URSA Pacific, not all of us model the Pensy. Other than that an older 4-8-0 would be fantastic. I have pictures of the GN 4-8-0's servicing the coal mines in BC's Southern boundary. They were not that large an engine.
Pacific Northern

ryeguyisme

not to offend anyone whatsoever, but I'm kind of tired of seeing pennsy and USRA stuff come out to be honest I'm glad to see more and more different prototypes come out in plastic but I notice lately I've begun to like brass alot and been looking at more brass more than I ever have lately. I guess I just don't like seeing too much generic or mainstream stuff, I worship steam so it only makes sense to want unique locomotives to me

KoolKat

well, I like the Pennsy, I'd like to see a streamlined K4 Pacific, this should be easy since you already have the mechanism all you would need would be the shell, preferably die cast metal with your usual superb paint job, Mikado (not USRA) old PFM brass ones used to be a dime a dozen, but not any more, and Bowser has discontinued their kits so these are things of the past too and H series Consies, these would cover a lot of models because there were over 1000 of them on the PRR and several series (H7, H8, H9, H10 etc) several years ago Sunset ran these in brass with interchangeable tenders, smokebox fronts and other parts, allowing the modeler to mix and match, as the PRR did with the real ones, these were used throughout the system right up until the end of steam both as road engines and heavy switchers (the Pennsy only had 2, I think, 0-8-0s) so any Pennsy layout can use a hand full

jward

with all the good stuff they already make, why not offer them in different roadmnames than the ones currently offered. this especially pertains to the diesels. examples would be gp40s in say illinois central, burlington, or b&o.

or how about a retooling of the gp50 to make an accurate model with the larger radiator screens?

or maybe a reissue of the u33b/u36b using the drive from the b23-7?

how about the same for the f9, using the f7 drive?

lastly, since athearn evidently no longer makes theirs, how about a cow and calf set of emd switchers. the tr5 (sw9 cow and calf) would be nice, or the tr2 (nw2).......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ryeguyisme

how about the norfolk and western K-3 4-8-2's? 3 railroads owned them namely N&W and D&RGW

"the Wheeling &Lake Erie purchase the M69 from the Rio Grande in 1948.   During  1926, the Norfolk & Western Roanoke Shops built ten White Class Mountain (assigning road numbers 200 through 209). The locomotives, designated Class K-3 by the N&W, but also called Water Buffalos by their crews, had 28 x 30 cylinders, 63" drivers, developed a boiler pressure of 225 psi and could exert over 68,800 lbs of tractive effort.  During 1945, four of the class were sold to the D&RGW who assigned them the class M69 (a reference to the rounded off 69 thousand pound of tractive effort they produced).  The locomotives were assigned to freight duty and were sold to the W&LE during 1948"

J3a-614

"Only" three roads?  It's better than that; there were ten such locomotives, and D&RGW only got six.  The other four wound up on the Richmond Fredricksburg & Potomac (where they weren't liked either, due to being too slow on that fast road, but it was wartime, you had to live with what you could get).  After the war, all ten were reunited on the Wheeling & Lake Erie, and at least some survived long enough there to be inherited by the Nickel Plate!

Some locomotive histories do get involved!

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/Week-of-Mon-20040531/000428.html

ryeguyisme

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 13, 2011, 04:49:26 PM
"Only" three roads?  It's better than that; there were ten such locomotives, and D&RGW only got six.  The other four wound up on the Richmond Fredricksburg & Potomac (where they weren't liked either, due to being too slow on that fast road, but it was wartime, you had to live with what you could get).  After the war, all ten were reunited on the Wheeling & Lake Erie, and at least some survived long enough there to be inherited by the Nickel Plate!

Some locomotive histories do get involved!

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/Week-of-Mon-20040531/000428.html

J3a you never cease to amaze me but this would be a perfect opportunity for a new loco