News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing the cab from a K27 - Cab Doors

Started by Matt M, August 11, 2011, 07:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt M

I purchased a used K27 and on arrival noticed that the doors were present but not fitted to the cab.  On closer inspection parts 00R03 and 00R02 were loose (sitting on the floor of the cab. It seems to me that the easiest wayto fix the problem is to remove the cab, fit the doors and then glue parts 00R03 and 00R02 in place before fitting back in place.  Am I on the right track?  If so any tips on removing the cab would be greatly appreciated. 

I have also ordered a replacement pilot -whomever previusly handled the loco roughly.

Jon D. Miller

Matt,
Look at the printed documentation sheets that came with the locomotive.

First, sheet G830X-IS007 shows that the boiler and cab are removed as one unit.  Note there are 4 screws  that have to be removed to release the boiler and cab from the chassis.  Also, not listed, but the four very small screws that secure the smoke box braces to front pilot beam must be removed.

Once these screws are removed the boiler and cab assembly will lift off the chassis.

Look at sheet G830X=IS003.  Note there are four screws that attach the cab roof to the cab.  Two on the front and two on the back, just below the roof line.  The two parts that you mention are illustrated on this sheet.

Seems that with the boiler/cab assembly removed along with the cab roof you should be able to repair the doors.

Good luck.

Another thought.  I looked at the K-27.  It may be possible to fix the doors without removing the boilder and cab.  Looks like just removing the cab roof will give you enough room to reattach the pieces that hold the doors in place.  I'd try this first before going to the effort to remove the boiler and cab.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Chuck N

When I had to remove the boiler and cab to replace the gears, there were three large screws.  Two under the cab near the rear and one  on the top in the bottom of the first dome behind the stack.  There is a fourth small screw that connects the linkage from the cab to the reversing mechanism on one side of the engine, that also needs to be removed.  This is very small (larger than the four on the pilot, but it is easily lost and it is non magnetic.

It will take some work to lift the boiler assembly off the chassis.  Separate it from the cab end.  There is a lip under the front of the smokebox that holds it in place.  There will be some sounds as it comes off.  They sound worse than they are, at least nothing appeared broken.  When you reassemble you will need to catch the front of the smoke box on the chassis and then rotate the cab end down.  This will take several tries.  At least it did for me.

Chuck

Matt M

Thanks for the advice.  I have removed the cab roof and should be able to fit the doors without needing to remove the whole cab.  Down the track I will need to remove the cab in order to upgrade the drive train so it will all come in handy.  In the meantime I need to find some paint to match the cab interior colour so I can paint the inside of the doors prior to fitting.