News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A new treasure hunt for Loco Bill

Started by armorsmith, August 10, 2011, 08:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armorsmith

Bill,

I just picked up a Big Hauler set (LOTS of TRACK), but am hoping for some assistance with the detailed ID.

Loco is Pennsylvania No. 9670, Black with a 'Brass' top on the stack. Came with combination car "Caussius" and observation car "Veritas".  The loco has the flat bottom cover, so I am guessing it is either a Gen I or Gen II.

Came with three full circles of track, a 90 degree crossing and three full boxes of straight track.  The power pack is all black with a red handle for speed control.  All for $35.00.

Thanks for any help you can be.

Bob C.

Barry BBT

Since no one's here yet,  It is in the 1995 Catalog as Set No.90024, engine and tender, Combine and Observation cars.

Would be a Gen 3, drive.  It's showing metal wheels on the tender and both cars, but they would have been the first gen metal wheels with a plastic centers, two holes in the back in the metal rims (to use with pickups the ho;es had to be filled with epoxy or liquid metal and file down.

I have one of the tenders.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Sleeping Bear

Sounds like the Liberty Bell Ltd. set to me. I got a displayed only/never run set w/ the coach and full baggage car, that's 4 cars and loco and tender, for $65 including shipping on eBay about a year ago. At some point going to get a BBT chassis for it. $35 for what you got sounds like you also pulled one off. Bill will be able to give the info you need down to the detail you didn't know you wanted to know.        Later All.........S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Loco Bill Canelos

armorsmith

Barry nailed it. The set was in the catalog from1995 til 1998.   To me this set was a real looker.  Definitely all sets were manufactured with the version 3 chassis.  I especially liked the letter boards with the gold "pullman" lettering on them.

90024*   PRR   Liberty Bell Limited   1995   1998   Pass    9670   Ver3   Combine PRR Grn "Cassius"   Obs PRR Grn "Veritas"

Bachmann also came out with a matching Baggage Car and Coach as noted below:

97490   PRR   None   1995   P Baggage   PRR, Liberty Bell Limited Green The PRR Ltd   P      Not Lighted   

97290   PRR   "Gladious"   1995   P-Coach   PRR, Liberty Bell Limited Green   Pullman   P      Battery Lights

I knew a guy a few years ago that swapped out the version 3 chassis and put a version 5 chassis in it.

The only mystery I have left is what was on the letter boards of the full Baggage car.  97290 is the only car I do not have a photo of from the Liberty Bell Limited series.   SB Can you help me with that bit of info??? and maybe post or email me a photo??

Enjoy that great buy 8),  and have fun with it.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

BArry, SB and Bill,

Thanks for all the great information.  I am really glad to find out that it is a Gen III Chassis.  I will need to do some cosmetic repairs and some wheel set replacement, but overall it is in good condition.  I will check it out this weekend for operability, and as you said Bill, "it s a looker".

I believe I have enough track out of this purchase to put a ceiling level loop in the living/dining room.  All the grand kids (11 and one in the oven) will enjoy them running.

Thanks again everyone.

Bob C.

Sleeping Bear

Bill
       Will send an email along here in a day or so with a couple pics. Have to dig into the pile and get its boxes out.  Later All....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Barry BBT

Bob,

One thing you should do is "Strapping" the motor.  Send me an email and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.  What it does is hold the motor in place so it doesn't chew up the gears.  Other wise a pretty good drive.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

N.H.&I.railfan

Quote from: Barry BBT on August 11, 2011, 05:49:14 PM
Bob,

One thing you should do is "Strapping" the motor.  Send me an email and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.  What it does is hold the motor in place so it doesn't chew up the gears.  Other wise a pretty good drive.

Barry - BBT
I know it's a long shot since this listing is so old, but will someone please post the instructions you mentioned for strapping the motor? Thank you.

Joe Zullo

Quote from: N.H.&I.railfan on March 19, 2017, 09:12:30 AM
Quote from: Barry BBT on August 11, 2011, 05:49:14 PM
Bob,

One thing you should do is "Strapping" the motor.  Send me an email and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.  What it does is hold the motor in place so it doesn't chew up the gears.  Other wise a pretty good drive.

Barry - BBT
I know it's a long shot since this listing is so old, but will someone please post the instructions you mentioned for strapping the motor? Thank you.

This link may answer your question...

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#mounts

Loco Bill Canelos

N.H.&I.railfan,

Rather than mess with the old out of dat chassis and gears on th loco you have why not consider getting a new chassis with the Version 5 chassis.  The chassis are on sale now $45 and the version  5 is extremely reliable compared to what you have.  

Since you did not say what loco you have I cannot make specific recommendations except to say this one will fit any Big Hauler 4-6-0 except for the paint colors.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5863

Also see my commentary on repairs to the 4-6-0:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.0.html

Have fun,

Loco Bill

Modified to correct error in second link

grsman

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on March 20, 2017, 06:27:54 PM
N.H.&I.railfan,

Rather than mess with the old out of dat chassis and gears on th loco you have why not consider getting a new chassis with the Version 5 chassis.  The chassis are on sale now $45 and the version  5 is extremely reliable compared to what you have. 

Since you did not say what loco you have I cannot make specific recommendations except to say this one will fit any Big Hauler 4-6-0 except for the paint colors.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5863

Have fun,

Loco Bill

Bill
Both of these links are the same. They both point to the same chassis.
Tom

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Tom,

It was entirely my screw up and I appreciate you letting me know about it :-[

I have corrected it in the post in question! 

I am sorry if anyone was inconvenienced by my error.   I am a believer in chassis replacement for the reasons stated.

this should have been the second link:

Once again thanks Tom for bringing the error to my attention.

Bill

N.H.&I.railfan

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on March 20, 2017, 06:27:54 PM
N.H.&I.railfan,

Rather than mess with the old out of dat chassis and gears on th loco you have why not consider getting a new chassis with the Version 5 chassis.  The chassis are on sale now $45 and the version  5 is extremely reliable compared to what you have.  

Have fun,

Loco Bill

Modified to correct error in second link

Sorry, Loco Bill, I omitted it's the "LIBERTY BELL LIMITED" set I'm asking about.

Loco Bill Canelos

The Liberty Belle set 90024 is IMHO one of the nicest of the Bachmann sets.  The locomotive is basic black with the gold spokes on the drive wheels which makes it stand out.  The passenger cars are very classy and look awesome! The downside of the set is that the loco has the version 3 chassis which was not the best.  The set came out in 1995 and was in the catalog til 1998.

While the strap  method of repair may work for awhile, it is my belief that a chassis replacement would be best.  The chassis with the correct paint for your loco is not available.   this chassis is available and is the latest Version 5, and is still on sale:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5868

The only difference I could see is that the drive wheel spokes are black rather than the gold on your loco.  It would be easy to paint them if desired.

Whatever your decision is be sure to have fun with your set.

Bill