News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing the cab off an Annie.

Started by Dave, August 12, 2011, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I am converting my Annie to R/C and need to get to the sound connection under the Firebox. I am going to use it for constant directional lighting. Any ideas on the best way to access the plug board would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
                         Waikino
                         New Zealand

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dave,

Not sure what RC or Sound you willl be using, or if you are going to battery power., I installed an Aristo Revolution in several Annies, without dis-assembling the loco.  I put the batteries , sound and RC in the tender.  I used the chuff trigger wires to the sound board in the normal way.  For lighting I just snipped the wires to the rear head light and connected the ones from the loco to the motor output on the Revo.  The rear headlight connect to the rear light wires on the revo. The battery leads go to the power input on the Revo.  To isolate the loco from the track you only need to snip the wires on the polarity switch behind the smokebox door.   The lights come on at full brightness on one click of the throttle.`

Not sure this is helpful, but it is a way.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

remove the bottom drive cover tp access the switch/plug board. You will see its mounted to a bracket held by two screws

Not sure how you can use the chuff contacts for directiomal lighting... If your running dc i would just use leds hooked up so track polarity makes the work on or off

Nm-Jeff

Dave

Bill an Jeff,
               Thanks for the info.  I am converting my Annie to R/C Battery and I like the look of the lights being on when the Loco is not moving, hence the need to wire the Headlight and rear marker lights directly to the Battery. The Back-up light will be wired to the ESC via a Diode. I have an old Sound board with a whistle ,that I will activate using a small servo and small push button switch. The sound board is voltage controlled and that will be wired directly to the output of the ESC. The R/C gear is a 2 Channel, 2.4 GHZ set that I brought on "Trade Me"for $31. It all came with TX an RX, Servo, Li-po Battery an Charger and ESC. A bit of a bargain for me, I thought.  I did'nt use Revo Gear as its not available here for less than $300 - $400. A bit expensive for now.

Dave

Would like to say thanks to Bill for sending me the details on installing the R/C in an Annie.
  It was most valuable.

Cheers

Dave

NarrowMinded

oops skimmed right past the R/C part ::)