News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power up, WBB!!!

Started by gmaneis, August 17, 2011, 12:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmaneis

Just curious. This website offers only an 80 watt transformer under "track and accessories" for Williams trains like the one I just bought. The Hudson engine instructions state it should be run by a transformer of at least 90 watts. What's up? Any recommendations on a good transformer would be appreciated.
Thanks. 

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

MTH controllers would do perfectly for your loco. The controllers that MTH advertises are the Z 500 50 watt, Z 750 75 watt, Z 1000 100 watt, and the most powerful Z4000 400 watt dual throttle controller.

Lionel on the other hand advertises the CW-80 80 watt controller.

Hope this helps.

-JP
Sincerely: JP

gmaneis

Thanks, JP! I appreciate you taking the time to post. An old freind told me my 64 watt transformer will not hurt the engine, and he's right. Everything works, inclduing whistle and bell. The layout is small anyway. Man, this thing is fun!

3rail

Dear gmaneis,

The instructions were written when there were not any transformers on the market between 40 and 90 watts.  Our 80 watt transformer will work fine.  The rating simply has to be greater than the total power draw. The 90 watts recommendation allows you to run a loco with several lighted passenger cars.

Regards,

3rail

phillyreading

I like the MTH Z-1000, 100 watt transformer, as it works with most brands of model trains, has plenty of power and can be bought at train shows for decent price.
Have not used the new transformer by Williams, but I would say it should work as well for what you need.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

I finally splurged a couple of years ago and bought an MTH-Z4000. What a powerhorse! It will run anything I throw at it. I can even run two dual motored Williams locos on the same track as a lash up. I think that a good powerful transformer is a great investment. My KW can play back-up and Christmas Tree duty now. ;)
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

OGReditor

The Williams by Bachmann 80-watt transformer will work just fine, as will an MTH Z-1000.  For larger layouts, you'll likely want one of the larger power sources provided by Lionel, MTH, and MRC.

phillyreading

I was on the CTT forum and have read a slightly negative report on the MRC brand of transformers. Something about MRC putting out some kind of electronic noise?
Like I have mentioned in the past, I use a postwar ZW, Z, KW and MTH's Z-1000 transformers. Not had any power issues with these transformers. One Z-1000 has worked with three of my Williams powered(dual motored) SD-45's at same time. The only problem, if there is a problem, is that the Z-1000 pops it's 6 amp breaker very quickly with any derailment I had.

Lee F.