News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&O EM1

Started by ebtbob, August 04, 2011, 07:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Steve Magee on August 17, 2011, 04:05:45 AM
For a quick comparison of the size of the EM-1, go to www.steamlocomotive.com, and click on he 2-8-8-4 wheel arrangement. Darn I was hoping for a DM&IR version

A DMIR version would be a nice addition to my more Minnesota style model railroad. I wish they would bring back the DMIR 2-10-2 and make a DMIR version of the 2-8-0 and a DMIR 2-8-2.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on August 17, 2011, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: Steve Magee on August 17, 2011, 04:05:45 AM
For a quick comparison of the size of the EM-1, go to www.steamlocomotive.com, and click on he 2-8-8-4 wheel arrangement. Darn I was hoping for a DM&IR version

A DMIR version would be a nice addition to my more Minnesota style model railroad. I wish they would bring back the DMIR 2-10-2 and make a DMIR version of the 2-8-0 and a DMIR 2-8-2.

I'd like that also! :D a 2-8-2 DMIR version would be excellent and didn't those have somewhat of a heavy harriman style to them?

Doneldon

Rye-

EVERYTHING on the DM&IR had a heavy, ponderous look. This was very big-time railroading. Huge, heavy trains full of iron ore. Long grades through rugged terrain. Even the passengers were rough characters. One of the DM&IR's Yellowstones is up on blocks in the railroad museum in the old Duluth, MN, depot. It's huge, of course. Interestingly, they have electric motors which turn the wheels so you can watch the rods and valve gear do their jobs. Most cool. They even have a soundtrack though it's played at about ten percent volume compared to the real deal.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Doneldon on August 17, 2011, 04:32:31 PM
Rye-

EVERYTHING on the DM&IR had a heavy, ponderous look. This was very big-time railroading. Huge, heavy trains full of iron ore. Long grades through rugged terrain. Even the passengers were rough characters. One of the DM&IR's Yellowstones is up on blocks in the railroad museum in the old Duluth, MN, depot. It's huge, of course. Interestingly, they have electric motors which turn the wheels so you can watch the rods and valve gear do their jobs. Most cool. They even have a soundtrack though it's played at about ten percent volume compared to the real deal.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

I have relatives up in the Duluth/Hibbing area and the only rough terrain you deal with is the roads in the area between Duluth and Hibbing and Cloquet and Hibbing. The DMIR itself was very good at making sure the tracks were smooth and close to level. And for the passenger trains, those were mainly pulled by 4-6-2's and sometimes a 2-8-2. Another thing DMIR fans need is SD-7's and SD-9's which the DMIR had a lot of.