News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

valve gear

Started by botangles, August 19, 2011, 01:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botangles

Apparently Bachmann made 2 kinds of valve gears for their Annies and Big haulers, Walschaerts or Stephenson valve gear. Is one slightly more reliable than the other, and how can you tell which one you have on your 4-6-0? Thanks, Bill W.

Jon D. Miller

Walschaerts

Stephenson

Both types work just fine.  The Walschaerts is more interesting to watch with more "monkey" motion.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

botangles

Thanks for the pictures JD, I have an Annie White Pass 4-6-0 and it looks like it has the Stephenson valve gear from the pictures you sent. Bill W.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bill,

I can confirm your WP&Y Annie does have the Walshearts valve gear.   I have never seen a WP&Y Annie with the Stephenson style.

Thanks to JD for the great photos as always!!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Bill,

The individual W.P.& Y. Locos have Walschearts valve gear, but the set versions, although metal are Stephenson set ups.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks for the correction guys,
I should have been more clear about that, I did mean individually boxed version.  I remember when the set first came out in 2007 how much discussion we had about it being the first non-christmas set out with an annie. and how we wondered if more non-christmas sets would come out with Annies.    The WP&Y fans were also happy about getting a new road number on the loco  #14.   Annie 81096 had the #10

Amony the Big Haulers I noticed that The WP&Y set 90095 has the loco with plastic Stephenson valve gear while the boxed WP&Y Plus loco 31497 has the plastic Walshearts  and the boxed WP&Y 91219 has the plastic Stepenson gear.  All three of the above have the Road number 10.   So both sets had Stephenson gear, and one separate box loco had Stephenson gear and Walshearts gear equipped locos were only available in separate boxes.  It is a shame they didn't change the road #'s  on these.

I was told but have never had confirmed that a WP&Y 4-6-0 was made with the road number 12,  Anyone out there have a photo of one??    If so I would appreciate a photo and Bachmann number.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

botangles

The engine is no. 14 from the 90059 set. The side bars and valve gear are metal but it doesn't have that vertical connecting arm to make that extra "monkey motion" that some refer to. I think it is a Stephenson. Thanks all for your input. Bill W.