News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is EZ Track noisy?

Started by l-y-k, August 24, 2011, 01:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l-y-k

As my title says :)

Does it echo the noise of the trains when its running on the track, and is it worth putting some kind of fabric or sponge in the bottom of the plastic "gravel" bed?

I know it might sound daft, but I'd like a quite layout...

Thanks guys.

Leon

Albert in N

For a couple of years, I had an E-Z track figure 8, with turnouts, layout nailed onto a painted interior door.   This was mounted on top of a finished cabinet base.  It had little noise, except clicking when the trains went over the crossing.  However, I noted that the Bachmann 4-4-0 American (with Prairie Flyer set) often stalled on the crossing.  The other Bachmann (and other brand) locos did fine.  Now I have Kato Unitrack (individual preference due to appearance and turnout radius) mounted on top of a larger interior door layout.  I overlaid the painted door (mounted on top of finished cabinets) with stone gray commercial carpet.  After laying down the track (using just gravity and holes for wiring), I lightly brushed green Tempera poster paint as needed for grass.  I used painted (both sides) thin poster board for roads and parking.  I cut out a section of carpet for my Woodland Scenics lake.  Also, I used Woodland Scenics (and Bachmann Scenescapes) trees, folage, and finished hills as needed.  This is a quiet layout.  However, the older smaller layout was OK on noise.  My reason for change related to having a layout that could be lifted off the carpet so I could periodically vacuum it.  I use new paint brushes for dusting the buildings, rolling stock, etc.  The track is cleaned with a dry clean cloth, occaisionally wet with rubbing alcohol, if necessary.   

cats2287

No it is not not. I have it and it's wonderful.