News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

walk around hand control

Started by fracon, August 30, 2011, 03:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fracon

looking for remote [no wire connection] to run trains only want basic just speed ,reverse for 3rail ac powered [operate mpc williams conventional]only
donot w
ant anything to do w chips or electronics [too expensive and unreliable]
  thank you fjc   8) 8)

mhampton

I hope this doesn't come across as a smart-a$$ reply because I certainly don't mean for it to.  If you can come up with a non-electronic wireless remote, I would love to see it.  Even your wired speed control can be deemed simple electronics.  I'm certain that radio-controlled airplane enthusiasts would disagree with your "unreliable" assertion and "expensive" is subjective and depends a lot on complexity.

richg

jsmvmd

Hi,

Would the Aristo TE work here ?  Sheldon ?

Jim Banner

The AristoCraft Train Engineer would work just fine if the locomotive can operate on dc.  But both the transmitter and receiver are full of electronics.  But then the normal operation of this train also involves electronics, even if it is only a variable voltage transformer.  In fact, the only non-electronic remote control I can think of involves tying a piece of string to the locomotive...

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

fracon

thank you for your responces  i'v used the aristo rmote on 2 rail o dc  would like same to operate on ac would a bridge rectifier work on the ooutput side of the aristo ??  my qripe about electronics  was about electronics in eng do not want to mess with engs [ i don't like shelf queens] keep it simple i follow train and throw switches onsite power blocks etc  train on a string known as brio brand  ;)
fjc

Jim Banner

The Train Engineer works with dc input, usually on board batteries.  I am not sure if you need a bridge rectifier before the TE receiver or whether it has an internal rectifier to allow it to operate on track power of either polarity.  With ac on the rails, I suspect you would need a bridge rectifier plus a filter capacitor before the TE receiver to give it clean enough power.  This would be an excellent question to ask on the Bachmann Large Scale forum or the Aristo-Craft forum.

Whatever input you use for the TE receiver, the output to the motor will be pulsed dc of one or the other polarity, depending on whether the transmitter is asking for forward or reverse.  I have some late model Lionel locomotives with can motors and no E-unit which would run just fine on the output of a TE receiver.  You would reverse them using the normal forward and reverse buttons on the TE.  I also have some older Lionel units with universal motors (run on ac or dc) and E-units.  These would also run on the TE but you would have to slow them to a stop and speed them up again to reverse them, just like you did when you ran them on a transformer.  That is, the direction controls on the TE transmitter would not work with these older units.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.