News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupling Height

Started by Don Gilham, August 30, 2011, 05:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Gilham

Just got my garden railroad up and running, and tried to put together a long test-train.  To do that I have to mix Big-Hauler with Spectrum stock - and was disappointed to find that the coupling height was different.

Please could you explain why that is, Bacchy ?

Thanks

on30gn15

I'm not a Bachmann and I don't play one on TV, but can give it a shot.

Big Hauler coupler height is more or less same as original hook and loop coupler height used from G scale's inception in Europe at around 1/24 to 1/22 scale.

Spectrum coupler height is closer to true-scale US 3 foot gauge height at the larger 1/20 scale.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

I have both as well and I have one big hauler car that has stock height on one end and on the other end is shimmed lower, this way I can run all my big haulers on the front half of the train couple my "adapter" car and pull all the spectrum cars on the rear half.

NM-Jeff

the Bach-man

Dear Don,
The 1:20.3 cars have extra couplers with offset shanks to mate with the Big Hauler cars.
A transition car is a good idea.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Don Gilham

Thanks guys - I knew you wouldn't let me down Bacchy   :)  An adapter car is a great idea too, thanks   :)

glennk28

Kadee has couplers with offset shanks to rais couplers to proper height--as well as a gauge to make sure  all couplers are right.  gj