News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track cleaning

Started by Tedshere, September 01, 2011, 01:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tedshere

I read instructions on this board about track cleaning. They call for rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth..............Can someone give me an example of a lint free cloth?
    I'm a has-been woodworker and the lint free cloth I picture is called a tack cloth. It's coated with a waxy element to pick up sawdust. I doubt that's what anyone would recommend for cleaning model railroad track.
    Thanks again,
    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

jward

a lint free cloth would be the same as what you'd use to clean eyeglasses, camera lenses, computer screens or anything else you don't want to scratch.

that said, i've never felt the need to use a lint free cloth for track cleaning. hadi wipes are much cheaper and work just as well. also, rubbing alcohol is one of many solvents that i've heard used for track cleaning. it's probably the cheapest, and also makes a better wetting agent than soapy water when gluing ballast or scenery material.

other track cleaning solvents i've heard of are wahl hair clipper oil, tv tuner cleaner. acetone, goo gone and a host of others. some work better than others, but all have people who swear by them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tedshere

Thanks Jeff! Another question answered by the always helpful guys on this board. Just as an aside, I sometimes use a coffee filter to clean my eyeglasses. I suppose they'd work for the track also. And they're cheaper than Handi-wipes!! :)
  Thanks again,
   Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan