Which O gauge track is best for Williams?

Started by gmaneis, August 20, 2011, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmaneis

Previous post talked about derailing WBB semi-scale or "baby" Hudson on new Lionel O-27 switches. They won't work smoothly with this engine! So I plan to sell off the tubular track. What's your favorite non-tube track for Willaims engines?

Mike_AA9ZY

I prefer Atlas O, but there are a lot of choices.

DominicMazoch

I have heard the FT swithces are oK.  Or the O-31 tubular!

phillyreading

Lionel 031 track is good for Williams but Don't Use the Lionel 6-23010 or 6-23011 part numbers on the switch boxes.
I had major league trouble with Williams engines and Lionel switches. The problem was the switch would act crazy whenever a Williams engine got within three track sections(any of the three directions into the switch) of the switch, but the switches(6-23011) worked fine with Lionel engines. Also the 6-23010 series switches started to die electrically on me, in plain English the electric power wasn't there, although I had 12 to 14 volts present with a multimeter at the terminal connections on the switch.

Currently I am using Gargaves track and switches with my Williams trains and I have no problems with switches acting up. Another nice feature about Gargraves switches, they are low profile, similar in style to an H.O. switch, and no problems with hitting the switch housings like with 027 switches.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

I have heard of issues with the Lionel o72 overall, but this is the first time I have heard of trouble with the 022

Ross is now making an 072 switch with tin/tube track.

gmaneis

Trouble is, I have only a 12 by 8 space, so O-72's and even 48's are very large in that space. I think I'll end up trying some FT 36 switches. Anybody know if they'll work with a Williams baby 4-6-4?

phillyreading

Quote from: DominicMazoch on August 21, 2011, 01:20:42 PM
I have heard of issues with the Lionel o72 overall, but this is the first time I have heard of trouble with the 022

Ross is now making an 072 switch with tin/tube track.

The switch I am refering to was made in the 1990's by Lionel. It is not the old tried and true "022" switch. The 6-23010 series is a sectional track switch, that was cheaply made!

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

That switch from the 90's does have issues.

phillyreading

Quote from: gmaneis on August 22, 2011, 09:39:31 PM
Trouble is, I have only a 12 by 8 space, so O-72's and even 48's are very large in that space. I think I'll end up trying some FT 36 switches. Anybody know if they'll work with a Williams baby 4-6-4?

Fastrac 036 curves should work with engines that need 042 track. 036 was not made when certain track sizes were being considered.
The best advice here is to test your engine in question on a freind's layout that has the curve or switch that you have a question about.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

My layout has Lionel FasTrack with 36, 48 and 60 inch curves. I use all 036 switches and my Williams by Bachmann trains all operate fine on that track system. I run my trains with an MTH Z4000 and my old Lionel KW transformer. I hope this helps. In this photo is my Williams PRR small Hudson.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Cobrabob8

In this photo is my Williams by Bachmann C&O BL2 which is an excellent running locomotive. On this end of my layout the inner oval has 036 curves and the outer oval has 048 curves. I have found that Lionel FasTrack works fine with my Williams locomotives.

Cobrabob8

In the next photo you will see my Williams by Bachmann Santa Fe F3 A-B-A diesels pulling seven MTH Railking Santa Fe streamline passenger cars through 060 FasTrack curves.
Cobrabob.

Cobrabob8

In the photo below you can see my Williams by Bachmann Pennsy Alco FA A-As about to negotiate a Lionel FasTrack 036 turnout, without a problem ofcourse!!
Cobrabob.

DominicMazoch

CobraBob:

Nice looking ?SUPERCHIEF and BROADWAY.  The ATSF dome looks like the one ATSF used on the SC.