Need Driver Springs for Bachmann 2-8-0 Connie

Started by wslogger, September 03, 2011, 07:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wslogger

Hi All,

I am looking for replacement driver springs for my Bachmann Connie 2-8-0. I contacted Bachmann parts department and was told they are not available. These are the coil springs that sit between the frame and the axleboxes. I took mine apart a while back and have lost the springs. Anyone know of a source for these springs?

Chuck Collins

NarrowMinded

I thnik I have some that came from a big hauler  of some type, I wonder/bet they are the same. I will try to dig them up and post a picture.

are they contained in a brass assembly?

NM-Jeff

wslogger

Hi Jeff,

No the springs fit into holes in the frame at the top of the axle blocks. The axle blocks have a peg that hols the spring to it. The springs are steel and appear to be approximately 2mm wide by 8mm long.

Chuck Collins

NarrowMinded

You might try a local lock smith, there are a ton of differant small compression springs of various shapes sizes in differant locks, Key cylinders and latches, many are around 2mm X 12mm but they may not be strong enough if the springs in question carry a load but you might get lucky,  a ball point pen spring is likely too large a Diameter I'm sure you have thought of that. 

I use tumbler pins and springs from locks to make pickups for large scale cars the pins are brass and the springs are copper.

Not sure if any of this helps but ggod luck with your search

NM-Jeff

Old John

MicroMark sells a spring assortment for about $8, I've used springs from the assortment to fix s broken springs on  an Accucraft engine, also have found many other uses around the house.

glennk28

Have you lost all of them?  you need as info:
Diameter of the spring
Length of the spring (number of coils)
Diameter of the wire the spring is made of

You might try your "dead ballpoint pen drawer"  (Don't we all have one?)  or Ace Hardware

remember thje loco has to "float" on the springs.

this is the sort of spare part a manufacturer SHOULD CARRY.

gj

srr4501

I replaced all of mine about 6 months  ago with stainless steel springs from Lee Spring Co. I equalized the weight on the drivers at the same time. Using DCC, the factory springs do not take the heat very well, especially when you have occasional shorts. These replacement springs have solved the problem and seem to hold up well.

The contact info is as follows:
888-SPRINGS (888-777-4647) • Fax: 888.426.6655 • Email: sales@leespring.com 
You can go on their web site as well. The part number that I bought to use is CIM030D 02 S

wslogger

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am very upset with Bachmann that they do not carry replacement springs. It should not be up to their patrons to search out sources for these items. I will look into the sources mentioned here. I did find some springs on Precision Scale Company's website that appear to be usable but not sure.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

When I work on truck or loco with springs I stick them to the sticky side of some masking tape and hang them from a hook or from the shield on my work light.  If I will not get them back in right away, I put them in one of those clear sealable sandwich bags I swipe from the wife's supply. I use a black marking pen to label the bag.  Saves a lot of hassle.  Bachmann is not the only guilty one not having springs or other parts available. Definitely frustrating!!  When parts can't help I have talked on occasion to someone in service, occasionally they seem to have stuff laying around from repairs.  Sadily my best contacts have all retired. 

I also use the bags when dis assembling a loco or car, I number and label the bags the bags as I remove items from the loco or car.   This works great if like me you are interrupted during the project and or can't get back to it right away.  I reassemble in reverse order.  This keeps the right screws in the right place to go back to the original holes, and helps in the re assembly process saving me much time in the process.

just a tip from a forgetful old train guy!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

I have an old magnetic sign like you stick to a car door that  i use as a mat for disassembly, works great for catching tiny steel parts,  i also have a channel on the edge of my table thats like a mini rain gutter, i put ot there to push shavings into but i found it catches parts nicely.

Nm-jeff

rslater

Just thought I would check out Lee Spring since I am looking to do the same to
my connie.  But the price of $90.90 for 15 springs is outragious to say the least.

I will be looking for another source. :( :( :(

railtwister

Quote from: rslater on September 13, 2011, 09:32:42 AM
Just thought I would check out Lee Spring since I am looking to do the same to
my connie.  But the price of $90.90 for 15 springs is outragious to say the least.

I will be looking for another source. :( :( :(

I checked their website and ran a few price quotes. The problem is ordering a small quantity. If you order 20 the price will be less than $70. Order 100 and it's $113 (or $1.13 each), 200 is $187.80 ($.939 each), order 500 and it drops to $.713 each, or order 1000 and it's $503.00 ($.503 each).

Unfortunately, when all you need is a small number, it's very expensive. If you both get together and pool your order for 100, it would be less than $60 each and you would each have enough left over to redo two more locos. Find 4 more people who need them, and the cost drops to under $20 per loco.

Bill in FL

Bill in FL

glennk28

there is a company that specializes in small prts--they advertise in some of gthe magazines--"ired of paying $1.95 for six screws?"--I don't have their catalog handy --if I run across it I'll post the info.  gj

wslogger

I found the same thing with Lee Springs. Way too expensive in small quantities. I had dissembled my connie to replace the plastic driver gear which had split with a brass one from Northwest Shortline. I ordered the gears but before they showed up my wife came through my workspace and cleaned up. She did not even see the springs because they were so small and they ended up  in the garbage. Now if I cannot find the correct springs I guess the connie becomes a boneyard for spare parts. Again, I am very upset with Bachmann that they could not provide replacement springs for this very popular locomotive. They told me to return the whole engine for repair or replacement when all I asked for was the springs. The thing is in pieces on my workbench.

What a way to run a railroad!

Chuck

ricnpat

When I did a bunch of custom work on my Connie a few years back I found on disassembly that a couple of those springs had been damaged at the factory and were useless.  I replaced them with KD coupler springs and it has been perfectly fine since.
Rick